- The Reds can’t stop tripping over their collective dick, but neither can their main competition, the Padres. The Reds still find themselves up a half game for the second wild card spot, but now the Padres and the Cardinals are both in striking distance.
- All three teams are on the road, as the Cardinals are in New York taking on the Mets, and the Padres continuing their series against the Giants, who have clinched a playoff spot. Marcus Stroman and Anthony DeSclafani are pitching for the Mets and Giants respectively, so once you’re done with the Reds tonight, go root on those eminently rootable pitchers.
- It still took me multiple tries to spell DeSclafani right.
- The big news from today is that Jesse Winker is headed to Louisville for a rehab assignment, which he will begin tonight. Let’s hope it’s a quick one and he’s back for the series this weekend.
- The Reds face Dillon Peters tonight, who is left-handed. You’ve been warned.
- Not today, but from the off day, as Kyle Farmer is back from the paternity list with a seedling in tow, pushing out Brad Brach, who was designated for assignment. Brach had moments where he was serviceable, so it’d be nice for the Reds to keep him around just in case if they can, but having him pitch in high-leverage situations wasn’t it.
6:35 PM ET, PNC Park, Pittsburgh, PA
TV: Bally Sports Ohio
Radio: 700 WLW
Nothing at the time of this writing
Wade Miley: 12-7, 2.89 ERA, 26 G, 155.2 IP, 122 K
Dillon Peters: 0-2, 3.38 ERA, 4 G, 18.2 IP, 15 K