The Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
The Cincinnati Reds have a pair of baseballers playing incredible baseball these days, and both baseballers baseballed the hell out of the baseball again on Sunday.
Jesse Winker homered again - his 5th dinger in the last 3 days, and later singled, too. Nick Castellanos bonks XBHs like a boss - he socked another pair of doubles and a late 2-run dong on the day. Positively brilliant work from the Reds corner OFs yet again.
Only have two baseballers doing excellent baseball isn’t enough in today’s day and age, however, and the Reds stumbled to yet another home loss (and series loss) with today’s bummer against the Milwaukee Brewers.
- I dunno, man. Luis Castillo took the mound and it was immediately a 3-0 game in the 1st.
- Avisail Garcia poked a 2-run homer onto the bullpen netting beyond the RF wall in the 3rd, making it 5-0 Brewers.
- Winker’s 456 foot blast off Freddy Peralta came in the Bottom of the 3rd, a solo blast off the damn power stacks that made it a 5-1 game.
- Doubles from both Shogo and Castellanos netted the Reds another run in the Bottom of the 5th, and that made it 5-2.
- Nick’s 9th inning rocket scored Winker and made it 9-4.
- That wraps a 1-6 homestand, and this team looks listless. They’re a full 10 games under .500 since their miracle 6-1 start to the year.
- Ashton Goudeau fired 2.1 innings of perfect ball in relief. #congrats
- Eugenio Suarez is as lost as I’ve ever seen a player of his caliber, and needs a spot on the bench for awhile. Perhaps a long while.
- No Reds baseball tomorrow, folks. Perhaps that’s for the best.
- Luis Castillo’s day ended after 5 IP, with 5 ER allowed and 4 BB issued. His ERA sits at 7.61, and that pretty much feels about where it should be given what we’ve seen so far.
- On Tuesday, the Reds will begin a series in the nation’s capital, and will do so with Tyler Mahle on the mound looking to rebound from whatever the hell that was against San Francisco the other day. The Washington Nationals have yet to announce their starter for the day, but first pitch will come from someone on their roster at 7:05 PM ET.