The Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
A tougher decision than I would have liked since I’m pinch-hitting for Wick tonight, but I have to give it to Trevor Bauer. In his Reds home debut, look at this line: 7 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 11 K. I’ll take that any day of the week.
Honorable Mentions are due to: Amir Garrett, for working out of a bases-loaded no-out jam. Aristides Aquino, for furthering the legend of the Punisher, and Eugenio Suarez for hitting another monster home run.
- Nick Castellanos tagged the Reds again for another homer in the top of the 1st. 1-0 Cubs.
- After a Josh VanMeter double, Aristides Aquino proved that he can hit oppo homers too, and dingered to RF. 2-1 Reds.
- Eugenio Suarez hit baseball into the upper deck, and a guy wearing a Eugenio Suarez jersey caught it. 3-1.
- Joey Votto still bangs. 4-1 Reds.
- After Nick Senzel singled and Tucker Barnhart moved him over, Jose Peraza hit a ball off of Steve Cishek that fell where they ain’t, as the saying goes. 5-1 Reds.
- The Reds went to their bullpen in the 8th, and that went about how that’s been going lately. Michael Lorenzen started the inning by loading the bases with nobody out, and Amir Garrett plunked Anthony Rizzo to score a run. He then got a force out, a pop out, and a ground out to keep the damage to one run. 5-2 Reds.
- Raisel Iglesias came in and slammed the door. Reds win!
- As noted on the broadcast, Aristides Aquino has now homered in 3 straight games. The last 4 Reds rookies to do that? Josh VanMeter, Joey Votto, Jay Bruce, and Adam Dunn. Those are some names I don’t mind Aquino being mentioned with at all.
- Trevor Bauer is a madman. I hadn’t seen his pregame and pre-inning warmups yet, and holy hell is that guy intense.
- Amir Garrett isn’t suspended yet! Good for the Reds!
- A Saturday evening game tomorrow, with another stellar matchup as Sonny Gray takes the ball for Cincinnati. Kyle Hendricks goes for Chicago, and they’ll start it at 7:10.