Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
Michael Lorenzen is your JNMHSotG. After crushing a three-run dingo last night, this afternoon he bailed starter Cody Reed out of some trouble and sat down seven Brewers in a row, striking out three. He also grounded into a double play, but whatevs.
- Cody Reed and Wade Miley started the game by firing four scoreless innings apiece. Reed worked around a few hits and a few walks, but looked decent for the most part. Then in the fifth, Lorenzo Cain singled with two outs to load the bases. That brought Christian Yelich, he who has killed the Reds a thousand times this season, to the plate. Reed very smartly walked him on four pitches. But Jim Riggleman didn’t like it. So he pulled Reed and brought in Michael Lorenzen to get the final out of the inning. 1-0 Brewers.
- In fact, after MicheLo Ultra came in for Cody Reed, the Reds bullpen tossed 51⁄3 hitless innings. Sal Romano, David Hernandez, and Jared Hughes all tossed a scoreless frame apiece.
- In the seventh, Dilson Herrera hooked a double down the line that brought home Phil Ervin all the way from first base. Good on it, youngbloods.
- Then Austin Brice came on for the top of the 11th and his first pitch to Lorenzo Cain was bopped to the bleachers. 2-1, Brewers.
- Josh Hader came on to try to close the game for the Brewers in the 11th inning. He quickly dispatched Scooter and Peraza before the renewed Joey Votto strode to the plate. He grounded out. Brewers win 2-1.
- Reed threw only 73 pitches before taking a shower. Seeing as he has been working out of the bullpen since coming up from Louisville, he might have been tiring a bit. All together, he threw a respectable game.
- Joey Votto is back! He was activated from the disabled list before the game and started at first while hitting in his customary third position.
- After surrendering the home run to Cain, Brice got Yelich to pop out before he was pulled from the game for an apparent injury. No word yet on what that is.
- He was just promoted from Louisville before the game, so it looks like the kid doesn’t have any luck at all.
- Blow shit up, tunes.