The Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
- You could say that Jose Peraza’s errant throw from SS to 2B that pulled Scooter Gennett off the bag, was scored an error, and kept an out off the board in the Bottom of the 1st was ‘key.’ It was. Unfortunately, so, too, were the dinky Daniel Murphy single, the laser triple off the wall in CF by Jason Heyward, the RBI single into RF by David Bote, and the idea that Homer Bailey was still actually in the Cincinnati Reds rotation to begin with. Oy vey. Reds trailed early, 3-0.
- Homer gave up a 2-run blast to David Bote somewhere along the way. Reds trailed, 5-0.
- Heyward singled into CF in the Bottom of the 5th to plate Anthony Rizzo, who was on base against the Reds because he’s always on base against the Reds, which left Cincinnati behind 6-0.
- Robert Stephenson is officially a bullpenner, as was announced prior to the game. His bullpenning began today with a stint in the Bottom of the 7th that included a Rizzo double, Rizzo scoring on a balk, and a 2-run dinger by Kyle Schwarber. That put the Reds behind 9-0, which is exactly how things ended.
- Homer Bailey started. The Cincinnati Reds lost. That means the club is now 1-17 in his starts this season, which is hilarious.
- That’s the first time the Cubs have swept the Reds in a 4-game series in Wrigley since WWII.
- Nobody will pitch tomorrow, which is merciful. The Reds will begin a series against the Milwaukee Brewers on Tuesday at GABP, where Anthony DeSclafani will toe the rubber opposite Junior Guerra. First pitch is set for 7:10 PM ET.