The Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
There wasn’t a ton to write home about for the Reds in tonight’s game against the Padres, but there is one player who stood out and turned in something positive. Curt Casali was acquired by the Reds on Thursday and made his debut tonight. In his first at-bat, he slugged a solo home run to left as a part of his two hit night. In all, he reached base three times, going 2 for 3 with a walk.
Honorable mentions are due to: Jackson Stephens, for stopping the bleeding by pitching 2 scoreless innings; and Scott Schebler, for going 2 for 3 with a solo dinger.
- Things did not start off well for the Reds in the bottom of the first. Travis Jankowski led off and reached on a throwing error by Curt Casali and then stole second base during the next at-bat. Jankowski would reach third on a wild pitch by Matt Harvey and then scored on a sacrifice fly by Jose Pirela to give the Padres a 1-0 lead.
- The Reds were able to tie the game in the top of the second on a solo dinger by Curt Casali, his first as a member of the Reds.
- Things got much worse for the Reds in the bottom of the second. Frammil Reyes, which is apparently a real name, led off with a single to center and then moved to second on a single by Freddy Galvis. After AJ Ellis walked to load the bases, Manuel Margot would double to right to bring in Reyes and Galvis to give the Padres a 3-1 lead. That brought up Eric Lauer, who helped himself out by hitting a sacrifice fly to bring in Ellis. A Travis Jankowski single would bring in Margot and the Padres would lead 5-1 after 2 innings.
- Harvey settled down and made it through the 5th without any other damage. The Padres would add a few more runs in the top of the 7th with Dylan Floro on the mound. Travis Jankowski led off with an infield single and then stole second base. Eric Hosmer then hit an infield single that deflected off Scooter Gennett to bring in Jankowski. Jose Pirela and Christian Villanueva would then each single to load the bases and run Floro out of the game. With Jackson Stephens on the hill, Matt Szczur hit a single to center to bring in Hosmer and Pirela to give the Padres an 8-1 lead.
- Scott Schebler led off the 9th with a solo home run, but that would be all for the Redlegs. Padres win, 8-2.
- According to beat writer C. Trent Rosecrans, Reds’ utility man Rosell Herrera was claimed off waivers today by the Kansas City Royals.
- After struggling through the first two innings, Matt Harvey settled down and was able to make it through 5 innings tonight. His overall line was 5 IP, 5 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 3 K.
- The Reds will take on the Padres again tomorrow for the rubber match. Luis Castillo will get the start for the Reds and will face off against Tyson Ross. First pitch is scheduled for 6:10 PM ET.