The Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
Adam Duvall managed three walks, which is legit pretty cool. The rest of this game was mostly a big pile of shit.
Honorable mention to Scott Schebler got a hit, that was the only hit for the Reds until the 8th inning, when Alex Blandino managed the Reds second hit of the night. Rosell Herrera managed a hit in the 9th, too. Otherwise, it was basically Fart City, population Reds.
- The Cubs opened up the scoring in the top of the 3rd, with Ben Zobrist hitting a lead-off single and then moving to 3B on Tommy La Stella’s single behind him. Kris Bryant grounded out, but it scored Zobrist. Anthony Rizzo and Willson Contreras produced outs two and three to end the frame. Cubs up, 1-0.
- Ian Happ led off the 4th with a line drive HR to right field. Cubs double up, 2-0.
- Walks haunted Romano in the 5th, as he issued one to both Zobrist and Bryant (sandwiched around a La Stella fly out). Rizzo smacked a double down the RF line to score them both. Contreras struck out for the second out before Ian Happ was intentionally walked. Addison Russell, however, was not intentionally walked. There was nothing intentional about that one. Jason Heyward then flared a ball to No Man’s Land in RF that Scooter Gennett nearly got to from his 2B position. Nearly is the key word, though, as he didn’t get to it, the ball glanced of his glove and rolled to the corner, allowing all the runners on base to score. Heyward was credited with a triple. The Cubs opened this one up, 7-0.
- Heyward added on to the Cubs lead in the 7th. After a Contreras walk, Happ struck out, and then Russell singled. Kevin Shackleford (on in relief of Romano) uncorked a wild pitch that allowed the runners to advance to second and third, and then Heyward poked a sac fly to deep center to score Contreras. 8-0, Cubs.
- Zobrist led of the inning (again) and got on (again). La Stella singled, sending Zobrist to 3B, before a Rizzo one-out sac fly scored Zobrist. Contreras grounded out to end the inning. Cubs, 9-0.
- With two outs in the 9th, Heyward singled before Albert Almora Jr. doubled to score him. Cubs with a 10 spot.
- That was that, of course. Reds lose, badly.
- Lotsa baseball been played today, huh?
- The Reds wore their military appreciation jerseys today which are 100,000 times better than what they wore last year but are still really, really stupid and should be probably burned.
- Ian Happ has reached based in 11 of his 15 tries with 4 intentional walks and at least 2 HR in this series, that I know of. Been hard to keep track, tbh.
- The Reds and Cubs will finish up this never ending weekend series tomorrow afternoon, with Yu Darvish squaring off against Tyler Mahle. First pitch is scheduled for 1:10 PM EDT, but with the way this series has gone, there will probably be some catastrophic weather event followed by a game that lasts 29 innings and features three bench clearing brawls.