The Corky Miller Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
Jose “Livin’ La Vida” Lopez has had a solid season so far. After spending the first part of the season in Daytona, he impressed enough in his 9 starts to earn the call-up to Double-A. Since moving up to Pensacola he has continued to pitch well, but hasn’t had a performance near as quality as he had tonight. Considering it came against a Lookouts team that had won 24 of its last 30 going into last night’s game makes it even better. Lopez went 7 strong innings, giving up only 1 run on 3 hits while walking only 1 against 11 strikeouts. Have a Corky, Jose, and keep on impressing in the Southern League.
Honorable mentions are due to: Tyler “Good Day” Goeddel, who was 1 for 3 with a double, a walk, and 2 RBI; Aristides “Horse shit” Aquino, who went 1 for 3 and scored a run; Geoff “With a G” Broussard for striking out 2 in a scoreless inning of relief; and Zack “Hefe” Weiss “En”, who earned the save by striking out 1 in a scoreless inning of relief.
- It was a quiet start to the game, as Fernando Romero and Lopez dominated their competition through the first 4 innings. The Lookouts finally struck first in the top of the 5th on a solo dinger by Max Murphy. Lookouts lead, 1-0.
- The score would remain that way until the bottom of the 8th when the Blue Wahoos finally broke through. Gabriel Guerro led off with a walk and then moved to 2nd on a single by Aquino. Blake Trahan would then draw a 1-out walk to load the bases, when Tyler Goeddel smacked a double to left to score Guerrero and Aquino. That brought up Josh “Feed The” VanMeter, who reached on a throwing error that would ultimately score Goeddel and Trahan. That would be it for the scoring, as Zack Weiss would slam the door in the 9th. Wahoos win, 4-1.
- Louisville was off last night. Uncle Jesse Winker will represent Louisville in the Triple-A All-Star game tonight. A 10-second Google search did not reveal a time, but I imagine that it’s pretty late since it is being played in Tacoma, WA.
- The Blue Wahoos return to action tonight against the Lookouts. Domingo “Ate my baby” Tapia starts against the Lookouts tonight at 6:35 PM CT.
- Daytona was off tonight. Vladimir Gutierrez starts against the St. Lucie Tebows tonight at 6:30 PM ET.
- Dayton also had the night off. Tony “Santigold” Santillan will take the mound against Clinton tonight at 7:30 PM ET.
- Keeping with the theme, Billings took the night off as well. Tyler Mondile will start for the Mustangs against Grand Junction tonight at 7:05 PM MT.
- Lastly, the Baby Reds also didn’t play. They don’t play again until Thursday when they face off against the Baby Dodgers.