The Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
Eh, about that...
Honorable Mentions are due to: Evan Mitchell, who fired 1.1 innings of perfect relief; Drew Storen, who got a scoreless inning of work under his belt; Ryan Raburn, who singled and walked; Phil Ervin, who singled; and Wandy Peralta, who kept the Angels scoreless in his 1.2 innings on the bump.
- The defense initially failed Garrett in the Top of the 2nd, though it wasn’t just the defense behind him - it was him. A 1-out chopper came right back to the Reds’ lefty, but he bobbled it and then rushed a throw wide of 1B to turn a would-be out into a CJ Cron on 2B. Cron moved over to 3B on a sharp single by Ben Revere, and Cron then scored with 2-outs when catcher Rob Brantly was late throwing down to 2B to try to catch a stealing Revere. From there, the wheels fell off for Garrett, as hits by Cliff Pennington (single), Kole Calhoun (double), and Mike Trout (triple) surrounded a walk to Yunel Escobar, and the Reds were down big early, 5-0.
- After an hour and a half of quiet innings, the Angels went back to work against Austin Brice in the Top of the 6th. Revere led off with a single and was replaced by pinch runner Eric Young, a subsequent walk, stolen base, and bunt single loaded the bags for Yunel Escobar - who singled to drive in a run and re-load the bases. Calhoun then grounded into a 4-6-3 double play to score another and leave Rey Navarro on 3B, but Navarro then scored on a wild pitch from Brice. Reds trailed, 8-0.
- Lucas Luetge was pitching for the Reds in the Top of the 9th when he served up a meatball to Nolan Fontana, who oregano'd it well over the RF wall for a solo dinger. Reds trailed, 9-0.
- That, folks, was all the action. Reds lost, 9-0.
Rapid Reaction GIF
- RIP win streak.
- Garrett entered today’s start with a 1.93 ERA and watched the Angels pick up 7 hits and score 5 runs on him in his 2.2 innings on the mound. He exited after 59 pitches with his ERA down to 1.23. Oh, the power of unearned runs.
- The Reds will head to Hohokam Stadium in Mesa on Thursday to take on the Oakland Athletics. Tim Adleman will be on the mound opposite Sean Manaea, with first pitch set for 3:05 PM ET.