The Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
There weren't many bright spots on the Reds side of things today, as our Redlegs collected 9 hits, but were unable to drive in any runs. Disco wasn't hateful, going 7 innings, giving up 8 hits and 4 ER. The Reds offense simply couldn't get it going today, as they stranded 6 runners and hit 0-4 with RISP. It was Family Day today at the ballpark, but unfortunately, our Redlegs couldn't send them home happy.
Suarez went 3-4, with a double, while Jose Peraza went 2-4, the day after he was called up to the bigs. He is only 22 years old, so this is hopefully a sign of things to come.
Julio Urias deserves a quick shout out, as the 20-year-old dominated the Reds, pitching the best game of his Major League career today. He gave up only 6 hits in 6 shutout innings, striking out 6 of our Redlegs.
- Chase Utley led off the game with an absolute bomb to right field and it was quickly 1-0 Dodgers
- Utley struck again in the top of the 3rd, with an RBI single, quickly followed by another RBI single by Corey Seager. At this point, it appeared we would be in for a long day with Disco, but it turned out that he would only truly struggle with Utley and Seager for the rest of the game.
- Joc Pederson drove in another run in the 6th with a sac fly, making it 4-0 Dodgers, eventually the final score of this Titanic Struggle.
- The Reds didn't threaten until the 7th, when Suarez led off with a double, but they were unable to bring him around to score.
- Cingrani and Ohlendorf both pitched well in their individual innings, respectively, with Ohlendorf only issuing two walks.
- Our Redlegs went quietly to end the game, falling to 21-12 post All-Star Break.
- Joey Votto got the day off today, with DeJesus filling in for him.
- Twitter user Jim Garver pointed out that the Reds are 3-21 when Reed or Lamb starts and 49-49 in the rest of their games. Coincidence? Don't think so.
- The Reds have a chance to salvage the series tomorrow at 12:35 as Homer Bailey will take on Scott Kazmir for the businessman's special.
- No loops today, sorry Wick.
- Sunday Tunes