The Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
Jay Bruce flied out sacrificially twice, and that's just about the best thing that's happened to the Cincinnati Reds RF in quite some time. So, in an effort to applaud Jay as best we can, we'll dote on him a bit.
Have a trophy, Jay, and keep them ribbies a comin' whether your OPS is actually worth a dang or nah.
Honorable Mentions are due to: Tyler Holt (!), who singled, walked, and scored twice in what's probably his team debut (though I'm not about to look that up because why would I at this point); Brandon Phillips, who doubled; and Sam LeCure, who tossed a cromulent pair of innings in which the Chicago Cubs did not score.
- The Reds lost 10-3 for their 11th straight defeat in a contest where a rookie pitcher started, Joey Votto sat out, and Todd Frazier sat out. Ipso facto.
- I'll be in Cincinnati tomorrow evening, so of course tomorrow's game is an afternoon affair.
- The St. Louis Cardinals defeated the Pittsburgh Pirates this evening to lock up the NL Central title. I'm sure you're all amused.
- Brandon Phillips is hitting .290 with a .324 OBP. Not bad, Beep. Not bad at all.
- Jay Bruce is hitting .224 with a .294 OBP. Holy shit, where's the Tylenol?