The Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
Zacky Cozart went 2-3 with a double and seemed locked in all game, also moving quick with some double plays. So he gets the game ball. Frazier went 2-4 with the Reds' only run, but gets a demerit for his error.
Johnny Cueto went 7IP, 4H, 2R, 1ER, 1BB, 4K. And clearly didn't have his best stuff. Goshdang.
- Todd Frazier hit a line-drive homer to left on a 3-0 pitch in the first. The Reds were squaring up nicely on Wacha early on and everything looked great. Reds up 1-0.
- In the second inning, Jhonny Peralta hit a liner to Frazier's right that Fray couldn't quite field cleanly. He reached on an error, and after John Jay was HBP and Molina singled to load the bases, Kolten Wong hit a sac fly to tie the game. The score was 1-1, but it's worth noting that Cueto went another two PAs without giving up a hit with the bases loaded.
- In the 4th, Matt Adams hit a solo homer down the RF line because he's a mean man. Cardinals 2-1.
- Burke Badenhop came on after a 8-pitch 8th to pitch the 9th. A Matt Holiday seeing-eye single led to him being subbed for Pete Bourjos. Who stole second and came home on a Peralta single to left. Drat. John Jay then singled. Blahst. Yadier Molina scored to bring home Peralta. Blimey. Parra staunched the bleeding, but the Cards were up 4-1.
- The Reds got a lot of dudes on base in that aggravating way that is best described as "doing the same thing you did when you won three 1-run games in a row, but falling on the other side of it."
- Mesoraco stole a base on Molina, astoundingly. Mesoraco also moved to third on a wild pitch (that really looked like a passed ball) and shuffled to second on a throwing error by Matt Carpenter. If Mesoraco somehow becomes a savvy baserunner, he minimises basically his greatest weakness. That'd be dope.
- The series so far seems to be marred on the Cardinals side by wild pitches, passed balls, and stolen bases. Something seems up with Yadier.
- The Reds face the Cardinals again on Sunday at 1:10 p.m. ET. It's Hell Raisin' Raisiel Iglesias against Carlos Martinez in what promises to be a fun battle.