Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Player of the Game:
The Reds were crying out for a competent middle infielder, and a cry came back. Or more of a groan. That's right, Kristopher Negron is batting a solid .282/.317/.564 in 41 PAs so far (H/T: TL;DR) while playing 2B, 3B, and SS and looking good doing it. He seems to come to the plate with a plan, a plan that acknowledges that he's gonna be late on every pitch and compensate by driving them all the opposite way. He went 3-4 tonight with his second double and third homer of the year.
Honorable mentions to Brayan Pena, who continued his hitting streak with a 2-4 night; Zacky Cozart, who went 2-4 with his own dinger. Todd Frazier went 2-4 with a To2b, and most importantly, Mat Latos went 7 scoreless with his own single before tiring in the 8th and giving up 3 runs. The game was far out of reach by then.
- Brayan Pena hit a one-out single in the second, and Kristo hit a two-out single soon thereafter. Cozart absolutely uncorked a pulled (of course) homer down the LF side to put the Reds up 3-0.
- Two innings later, Brayan Pena got aboard again. Negron was too lazy to try and force a single, so this time he walloped an oppo HR! Reds up 5-0.
- Scott Atchison had a rough seventh inning. Negron doubled to lead off and came home on a Cozart single. Mat Latos singled after that. Hamilton had a productive out vs. Atchison before the pitcher was taken out for Rzepczynski, who got Bruce out before allowing a two-out double to Todd Frazier to bring home Cozart and Latos. Reds up 8-0.
- In the eight, Latos gave up a Yan Gomes leadoff homer and a Rayburn double (that scored Mike Aviles (who is kinda pissing me off at this point) and Jason Kipnis (who went to my rival high school)) to make the score 8-3. Jumbito got Santino to ground out to end the threat and the thread with the Reds up 8-3.
- Tomorrow's game is the Ohio Cup finale, and the Reds can take home the whole ball of buckeyes with a win. It'll be at 7:10 p.m. ET, and Homer Bailey will host T.J. "Rick" House.
- Speaking of:
- Freixenet makes any night better, even a night after a day spent crashing into fences and applying for jobs.
- T.J. House's name is Glenn Anthony House. What?
- Reds are 4 games out of the division and 3 games out of the second wild card bid, with STL and PIT ahead of them (SFG is the first wild card at the moment).
- I typed in "Kristo" to youtube and got this fantastic video which I guarantee is 100% accurate portrayal of Bulgaria.
- But also, Hristo.
- Get down with Kristo.