Cincinnati Reds @ Pittsburgh Pirates
Sunday, August 31, 2014
Johnny Cueto v. Francisco Liriano
In the immortal words of Ron "Meta World Peace" "The Pandas Friend" Artest, "Happy Labor Day . . . Enjoy it." Of course, it isn't Labor Day yet (then again, it wasn't Labor Day when Ron-Ron first wished this), so the Reds have one more chance to add to their one run loss total for 2014 while still wearing post-game whites. Today, they will be going for the 1-0 variety as Johnny Cueto takes the mound. I was going to provide some research on historical match ups between Cueto and Francisco Liriano, but I didn't want to totally bum people out about it. So, in lieu of this, here are a few musings that should prepare your mind for this game:
- Between the two best hitters on the Reds, there are one good pair of knees.
- Johnny Cueto's performances, although mesmerizing, are closely approaching the point where he is playing himself out of any possibility of the Reds being able to afford re-signing him.
- The most interesting discussion on this website the past fortnight has involved Ryan LaMarre.
- Local media outlets have begun to use their column inches reserved for the Reds for Pete Rose navel gazing.
- Although it seems like 120, Skip Schumaker, and his sub-.600 OPS, has only appeared in 80 games.
- Kristopher Negron is daring us to give him 300 at bats in 2015.
- Ramon Santiago's birthday present is hitting eighth in a lineup where he has the highest OBP.
- It's the end of August, and the Reds are only four games ahead of the Cub. The CUBS.
- When September call ups begin, we will have to complain how they are given Gerald Laird-style playing time.
- If the baby is placed under the basket one more time, we will likely be investigated for child abuse or neglect.
Go Reds! Or I'll be forced to call 241-KIDS!
Editor's Note: SB Nation's partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $18,000 Fantasy Baseball league for tonight's MLB games. It's $2 to join and first prize is $2,000. Jump in now. Here's the FanDuel link.
|Reliever||8/26||8/27||8/28||8/29||8/30||5 day totals|
|Aroldis Chapman||1.0, 22p||1.0 IP, 22 pitches|
|Jonathan Broxton||1.0, 19p||1.0, 12p||2.0 IP, 31 pitches
|Sam LeCure||0.2, 7p||0.2 IP, 7 pitches
|Jumbo Diaz||1.0, 21p||1.0, 12p||
2.0 IP, 33 pitches
|Manny Parra||0.0 IP, 0 pitches|
|Pedro Villarreal||2.0, 22p||2.0 IP, 22 pitches
|Logan Ondrusek||1.0, 16p||1.0, 8p||2.0 IP, 24 pitches
|Daniel Corcino||1.0, 10p||1.0 IP, 10 pitches