The Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
Mat Latos, fresh off a viralcat-dancing video, gets the nod. Laboring a bit in the late innings, Latos nonetheless put together another excellent start. He's quietly - as quietly as a tall, many-tattooed pitcher can - putting the team in a position to win nearly every time out. Devin Mesoraco went 3-for-4 to push his average back to .300. Jumbo Diaz was cool.
- Reds got off to a promising start in the first. Billy did his thing and got to third on an errant throw by whoever the current catcher of the Red Sox is. After Bruce clutch-walked, back-to-back singles by Frazier and Mesoraco plated two. Brayan Peña then grounded into a double-play, but no one thought much of it at the time. After all, we were all caught up in the ultra-rare multi-run first inning.
- Latos kept cruising on a downward plane until the Red Sox got one back in the top of the 7th.
- Jonathan Broxton entered in the 8th with Latos at exactly 100 pitches. He gave up a sin duda 2-run homer to Yoenis Cespedes.
- Heisey reached base somewhat miraculously in the 9th, but Uehara slammed the door against the Reds' Petty Larcenists Row.
- This is true: Going into tonight, Brayan Peña was the Reds' best hitter in the second half (by wRC+).
- Reds missed an opportunity to improve their situation tonight. The Brewers, Cardinals and Braves all lost and the Giants are down against the White Sox with Chris Sale on the mound. On the other hand, their position in the 2nd Wild Card Race is unchanged.
- On a third hand, they're starting to run out of time with 43 games left.
- Reds have lost each of three games played against the Red Sox by one run. In order, the Red Sox have scored the decisive run (breaking a lead or tie) in the 12th, 8th and 8th innings of those games.
- Reds have a weaker bench when they're carrying three catchers, but don't you still want to PH for Cozart with the winning run at the plate in the 9th?
- Fading summer tune
- Another tune
- Sometimes it's really time to listen to this tune and the album it's on.