The Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
Zack Cozart had two singles. Logan Ondrusek threw 2 scoreless innings with 4 strikeouts.
- Some uncharacteristic wildness started the cavalcade of unfortunateness for Johnny Cueto in the Top of the 4th. After Chase Utley wasn't hit by a pitch yet was awarded 1B anyway, Cueto picked him off in what appeared to be a positive development, but a subsequent walk to Ryan Howard, legitimate HBP to Marlon Byrd, and double by Domonic Brown left the Reds behind by a pair. John Mayberry later singled off Zack Cozart's glove, which slowed the ball down enough to let Brown lumber around for a run of his own. Reds trailed, 3-0.
- Jimmy Rollins hit a pop up that cleared the wall in the corner in RF in the Top of the 5th for a GABP special, and I'm going to lean on that as a crux despite the "moving the walls" joke because it makes me look at the Reds' home stats and want to cry/break. Reds trailed, 4-0.
- Some sort of Samson dilemma hit the newly hairless Sam LeCure, and he managed to load the bases full of the top of the Phillies' lineup in the Top of the 9th, and that ultimately led to an Utley sac-fly driving in a speedy Ben Revere. Ryan Howard followed by hitting a hard grounder directly under Todd Frazier's glove at 1B, and that scored two Phillies who you probably hate. Brown later hit a sac fly to score Howard, and you stopped reading this a solid six sentences ago.
- That's it. Those were the plays. Reds lose, 8-0.
FanGraph Less Interesting Than the Draft
- Petition to rename this blog Blaze Reporter. Or Blase Reporter. This is a Bakersfield joke, not a Colorado legalization joke. Ryan Wright!
- Brandon Phillips took a walk, but he had to work damn hard to do so.
- Remember how this 10 game homestand was going to turn around the Reds fortunes? Well, they've lost 3 of the first 4 and seen rehab stints from both Mat Latos and Joey Votto pushed back. Mads, this is worthy of another rhino picture.
- I should probably mention that these Philadelphia Phillies entered tonight's game on a 6 game losing streak.
- I should also probably mention that I started writing this recap - headline included - after the Phillies scored in the 3rd inning. According the best calculations from our crack team of analysts, the Reds haven't come back from a deficit of more than 2 runs all season.
- Earlier today, Mat Latos sounded pissed off about the fact that he was going to have to make another rehab start. A lot of you took that to mean he sounded petulant, or something. Me? I took it to mean he's pissed off that he's going to have to wait another week to help this team, and I freaking love it. The Reds' offense is terrible, they're now 5 games under .500, and have you heard anyone, anywhere, say anything that sounds at all like they're mad about it? I did today, and it was from Latos, and it's pretty damn refreshing to hear.
- Apropo tunes.