The Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
8IP, 4H, 1BB, 12K and a lone home run. That's an incredible line from Mike Leake, who in his fifth season in the bigs has put together his lowest walk rates to go with racking up the innings (second on the team). He's an interesting wild card both this year and going forward in the Reds' plans, and he was a killing machine tonight. His 12 strikeouts were a career high.
Honorary mentions are worth being sent to Jay Bruce, who went 3-4 with two doubles, and Todd Frazier (2-4, plus a nifty grab to end the game). Brandon Philips also went 2-4 and made some sparkling plays, but he also was thrown out by a mile coming around from first on a Jay Bruce double, which stuck in my craw.
- It was a pitchers' affair until the fifth, when the Reds made some elbow room. Jay Bruce hit a one-out single, and Zack Cozart of all people was able to double him in with a shot down the line to put the Reds up 1-0.
- The Reds piled on Jean Machi in the 7th. He was previously unscored upon in the past 22 innings, but BP put an end to that quickly with a grand home run to lead off the inning. He was followed up by a Jay Bruce double, a Ryan Ludwick single (that scored Bruce), and a botched fielder's choice that was scuffed by Sandoval and dropped by Panik to put runners on first and second. After that, Leake struck out bunting, Billy had a bunt-for-hit that didn't, and Todd Frazier popped out to end the threat. Reds up 3-0.
- With the Reds offense doing all it needed, Mike Leake was nice enough to allow Adam Duvall to get his first major league hit, a home run, in the bottom of the seventh to make the score 3-1.
- Tomorrow's game will also be at 10:15 p.m. ET. Johnny Cueto will face off against Madison Bumgarner, which is a heck of a matchup.
- It's a bear of a road trip, but the Reds have done well with it so far. Let's just hope they can keep the pressure up in the next three games here in San Francisco.
- Mike Leake held Toronto to one run in his last start, and the Giants to one tonight. That's two very good offenses he's shut down.
- This is some really good accordion jam, if you're interested.
- Belgium hate week begins tomorrow. Sneak in under the wire by listening to Baloji over a beautiful backing band tonight.