The Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
Johnny Cueto went 6IP, 3H, 0ER, 0BB, 12K. Of those three hits, one of them (Dee Gordon, no less) was picked off at first. I don't even think he had his best stuff today. Broxton gets a nod for getting the Reds out of a jam in the 7th and continuing to jam in the 8th.
Honorable mentions to Billy Hamilton for going 1-3 with a walk and a stolen base., BP for going 2-3 with a walk and a couple great plays, and Bruce going 2-4 with a homer. The yooj.
- Matt Kemp was thrown out for arguing with the ump. Okay.
- With two outs in the third inning, Billy Hamilton got on with a walk and then stole second. Frazier walked, too. Votto did as Votto does, slicing a hot double down the third-base line to score the top two hitters. BP followed that up with a single to score Joey. Reds up 3-0.
- Johnny Cueto got his 11th and pizza-inducing strikeout 16 outs into the game. Hot dang.
- Jay Bruce beat the heck out of a ball in the sixth to notch another one (and his 5th HR of the year). Reds up 4-0.
- In the seventh, Ondrusek got one strikeout but then let up two singles. Parra let up a bloop single to boot. It looked bad, but Broxton is a bad man. Brought in as the third pitcher of the evening, Jonny Brox got a GIDP out of Hanley Ramirez. Brandon Phillips had a beautiful turn on the play.
- In the bottom of the inning, Zack Cozart got a single to continue his hitting streak. He got to second on a passed ball, and was brought in by a Hamilton single. Hamilton went to second on a passed ball, but even though the Reds loaded the bases they weren't able to put any more runs across. Reds up 5-0.
- The eight inning took forrrreeeevverrrrr.
- Johnny Cueto allowed two balls to get to the outfield grass on a fly. Hamilton plucked one of them.
- Johnny Cueto struck out 12 people, which means that nine did not. 5 grounded out, one flew out, and three hit singles (two of which were seeing-eye grounders).
- It's funny, because I was half-watching and wasn't too impressed with Cueto's start. He didn't seem to have his command and was throwing a ton of pitches. That said, wowza.
- Tomorrow's game is 12:30 ET, with Zack Greinke talking on Alfredo Simon. The Reds will be hoping that the 9:30 West Coast start time will wack out the Dodgers because man they'll need whatever they can get. I'll be watching Brazil-Croatia.