The Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
Mike Leake will get the nod for tonights JNMHSofG award. Mike Leake is really putting together another good season. Mikey went 8 innings, giving up 7 hits, 2 earned runs, 2 walks, and struck out 5. It would have been nice if he could have gotten his bat going, but it's ok because the rest of the offense was just as inept with the stick. If we had to guess who feeling The Force tonight, it would have to be the young padawan, Mike Leake.
- The Reds started out this May The Fourth Be With You game on a bad omen. They had Darth Vader throwing out the first pitch. That's basically like giving a Yadier Molina a hug. It's nasty and bad taste. All the good Force karma was destroyed before the game even started.
- The first four innings of the game were scoreless as Wandy Peralta and Mike Leake were on their games. In the top of the fourth inning, Cozart started a nifty double play with runners on 1st and 3rd and one out.
- In the bottom of the fourth, Votto hit a shot to left field that looked to be a home run. The rule is if the ball hits the yellow line and returns to the field of play the ball is still in play. The umpire called it a double, and Price came out to challenge. He did not have to use a challenge as the umpires reviewed it anyway. The call stood as a double, and Price even said after the game that it was the right call. Votto agreed, too, saying he needs to hit the ball harder. I love him.
- In the top of the fifth, the pitcher Wandy Peralta hit a two run double over the head of Jay Bruce. It looked to me that Bruce was playing in on Peralta and got burned. This will end up being the biggest play of the game as the Reds will be unable to score any runs.
- Did I mention the Reds didn't score any runs?
- Leake and Peralta would throw three more scoreless innings after the 5th, and both would be lifted after the 8th.
- Lurch pitched a perfect ninth inning with a strikeout.
- Francisco Rodriguez was called upon in the ninth to pick up the save. Peralta probably could have tried for the CGSO, but Reineke decided to pull him. He had reached 110 pitches. He got Frazier to ground out, Bruce to strike out, and Brayan Pena to ground out. It is Francisco's 14th save of the year, which I believe leads the league.
Fangraphs detailing what happens when your team doesn't score runs.
- May The Fourth Be With You is an awesome idea, and I love that the Reds did it. However, you don't have Vader throw out the first pitch. You also win because you're the good guys.
- Mike Leake is pretty good.
- Jay Bruce struck out four times. He walked three times yesterday. He confuses me.
- I feel like the Reds are going to break the shutout record this year. Not that I know what the record actually is. They have been shutout five times this year already. Remember that 1999 team that didn't get shut out once, and then the streak continued for a while into 2000? I do. That was awesome.
- Hot Tub Time Machine is on TBS. I'm gonna stay up and watch it and drink beer. We can hang out and stuff if you wanna...