The Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
Jay Bruce has made a pretty damn good habit of honking big donkers in recent years, and the one he honked tonight once again played the part of potential game-changer. Bruce went 2 for 5 on the rainy New York evening, scoring on his big fly and driving in three, and for that he earns tonight's JNMHSotG. The whole "Bruce as cleanup hitter" idea has finally come to fruition, and it's going to be pretty to watch for the next handful of months.
Honorable Mentions are due to: Roger Bernadina, who walked thrice and scored once from the leadoff spot; Brandon Phillips, who went 2 for 5 with a run scored (and had a would-be dinger taken away by Eric Young, Jr. in the Top of the 1st); and Brayan Pena, who NERT'd his first hit as a Red along with walking twice.
- The Reds hit the board first tonight with a small-ball rally in the Top of the 3rd. Bernadina drew a 1-out walk, moved to 2B on a BP grounder, and scored two batters later on a single from Bruce. Reds led, 1-0.
- The Mets struck back in the Bottom of the 4th, however. Curtis Granderson doubled to lead off the inning, and Lucas Duda mashed a big apple over the wall in RF. Reds trailed, 2-1.
- Deja Vu happened all over again in the Bottom of the 6th. With David Wright on 1B, Duda mashed another Leaky meatball out of the field of play. Reds trailed, 4-3.
- The Reds rallied to rally in the Top of the 7th despite the pouring rain and chilly conditions, which was nice. BP hit a 1-out single and moved to 2B on a Joey Votto groundout, and Jay-Bru the Damaja then launched a fastball from John Lannan out to left-center to cut the Mets' lead to 4-3. Unfortunately, that was all the Reds' offense could muster. Reds lose, 4-3.
- Lucas Duda entered tonight's game with a .667/.714/.833 line against Mike Leake in his career. That went up.
- The Reds have played 4 games this season. The Reds have been a part of 4 1-run games this season. The Reds are now 1-3 in 1-run games this season. That's cause for bummerdom.
- If you can talk you sing, if you can walk you can dance. Big Ohio status.
- Title tunin'.