The Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game:
Ryan Hanigan went 2-3 with 2 RBI and got his average over .200! Good for you, Ryan!
Honorary mention goes to Brandon Phillips, who's really diggin' the two-spot going 2-4 himself. Ryan Ludwick hit a home run and was welcomed back to the cleanup spot and Zach Duke made a decent Reds debut with 1.2 scoreless innings and 2 strikeouts on a night when the bullpen needed all the help it could get.
- Corey Dickerson, that Frankenstein's monster of underwhelming former Reds CFs, tripled to leadoff the game. DJ LeMahieu, who my sources inform me is NOT Bryan LaHair, doubled him in. Wilin Rosario hit into a DP to end that inning's threat, but the Rox were up 1-0.
- Bruce led off the second with a walk. Frazier FC'd to switch spots with Jay, Cozart singled, and Hanigan singled to bring in Todd. Arroyo had a decent bunt to move the runners over, but Choo flew out to end that threat. 1-1.
- Todd Frazier led off the fourth with a double! Ryan Hanigan singled him home! Reds up 2-1!
- But in the night's holy war, our Todd was a lesser Todd. Tulowitzki single, Rosario single, Helton homer, Arenado single, Blackmon single, Charlie Culberson (?) double, and Arroyo was done after 3.1, and the Rockies were up 6-2.
- Ludwick got one back in the fifth to make the score 6-3.
- Cesar Izturis doubled in the sixth. No runs scored, but its worth mentioning.
- Seventh inning was Ondrusek time. LOL. Tulowitzki single, Rosario single, Helton homer...Rox: 9-3
- A fun, meaningless, ninth-inning rally: Heisey singled, Choo doubled, Phillips singled (to bring those two home), and a WP and a Votto ground out brought BP to third, where Mesoraco SF'd him home to bring the score to 9-6 but no closer.
Fangraphs that Resembles a Rockie Mountain High:
- Zach Duke is now a Red, wearing #30
- I think Ludwick and Heisey can make this work for a bit longer. I wonder if Lutz will get Paul's PAs in September.
- I hate hate hate having big bullpen days to start off a series, especially with a 4-game Cardinals looming. Let's hope that Reynolds and Leake can get >12 innings between 'em.
- I have no clue what music to recommend. This song's been stuck in my head, so at least there's that.
- Reds.com story on callups projects Robby, Hank, and Partch coming up on Sunday and Soto, Corky, and Felonious Billonious on Monday, with more coming after the Bats season. Also some fun quotes from Duke and Dusty in there. Also, I'm actually kind of excited to have Robinson back.