The Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
On a forgettable night, the reliever who threw rocks for over two frames gets the nod. Alfredo Simon replaced Cingrani in the sixth, going 2.1 innings with 1 K and zero runs. Honorable mention to Tony Cingrani, who recovered from an eventful first inning to go 5 innings, allowing 2 runs (none earned).
You know who doesn't get a mention? The bench. Getting a spot start, Jack Hannahan had as bad of a game as possible, going 0 for 3 with a K, GIDP, and 3 errors. Also, it's after midnight for Xavier Paul, who had an error of his own and ran into an inexcusable out to kill a potential late rally.
- Proud Irishman Cingrani (to the disappointment of Carson Cistulli) was raring to go on Irish Heritage Night. Unfortunately, his defense was not. After Chris Denorfia led off the game with a single, Will Venable hit a ball to leftfield that went through Xavier Paul's legs. Venable came around to score after Hannahan haha'd a throw to first. Pads up, 2-0.
- Reds got one back in the bottom of the first. Shin-Soo Choo started it with a single, stole second, went to third on a Votto grounder, and scored on BeePer's single and 87th RBI. Reds down 1-2.
- No scoring for the next six frames for either side. Cingrani rebounded nicely from a high pitch count in the first (over 30) and ended up going 5, with 5 Ks, 2 BBs, and no XBHs. The Reds offense couldn't pick him up, though. The worst of it came in the seventh, when the Reds couldn't capitalize after getting runners on first and third with no outs. Mesoraco flied out to left, and as Jim Kelch may very well have predicted, Chris Denorfia turned a double play by throwing out Paul at second on a play where he had no business running.
- Venable knocked a solo shot on the second straight night in the 8th. Remember when his dad Urkel'd his way into our hearts almost 30 years ago? No? Anyways, that was all the scoring. Pads win, 3-1.
Section Worthy of Taking Your 3 Year Old to See Since it Was Fun Throughout comment copied and pasted from prior recap
<iframe src="http://www.fangraphs.com/graphframe.aspx?config=0&static=0&type=livewins&num=0&h=450&w=450&date=2013-08-10&team=Reds&dh=0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" height="450" width = "450" style="border:1px solid black;"></iframe><br /><span style="font-size:9pt;">Source: <a href="http://www.fangraphs.com/livewins.aspx?date=2013-08-10&team=Reds&dh=0&season=2013">FanGraphs</a></span>
- Not a lot of good news tonight, but with an announced attendance of 34,777, the Reds are on pace for GABP record 2,566,209.
- Sheldon tweeted that Ludwick will be activated for Monday's game and hit sixth.
- Tunes, huh? These guys are from San Diego, apparently.
- Happy Saturday night, everyone!