#39 / Catcher / Cincinnati Reds
Jun 19, 1988
- Devin Douglas Mesoraco was born on June 19, 1988 in DuBois, Pennsylvania.
- Mesoraco was a standout catcher for the Punxsutawney Area High School Chucks in Punxsutawney, PA. He set a number of school records including the career marks for walks, home runs, runs, hits, and stolen bases as well as single season totals for walks and runs (MiLB.com). His outstanding play in 2007 earned him Pennsylvania's Gatorade Player of the Year Award. In addition to his individual success, Mesoraco also led the Chucks to the class AAA state championship in 2007. Other notable residents of Punxsutawney include former Detroit Pistons and Dream Team coach Chuck Daly, former big league catcher John Mizerock, and that damned groundhog.
- The Reds selected Mesoraco with the 15th overall pick in the 2007 first-year player draft. His minor league career got off to a rough start as he struggled with the Gulf Coast League Reds in rookie ball in 2007. Mesoraco also put up mediocre seasons in A-ball with Dayton in 2008 and in advanced A-ball with Sarasota in 2009. He caught fire with Lynchburg in advanced A in 2010 before the Reds moved him up to AA Carolina. Mesoraco continued to hit with Carolina and found himself in AAA Louisville by the end of the year. He had a big season with Louisville in 2011 before joining the major league team out of spring training in 2012.
- He topped Baseball America's top 10 list of Reds prospects in 2012. Mesoraco came in at number 16 on that year's big list from BA.
- Mesoraco struggled in the majors last season, but posted a decent ISO (.139) and walk rate (9.2%). His struggles may have been due to a very low BABIP of .234. In addition, Mesoraco collected only 184 plate appearances in 2012, which wasn't very much time for him to work out the kinks.
- His 2012 season ended on a couple of bad notes when umpire Chad Fairchild ejected him from a game against the Padres on July 30 for arguing balls and strikes while behind the plate. Mesoraco also bumped Fairchild before leaving the field. The incident earned Mesoraco a three-game suspension. He suffered a concussion
later in the weekin the game as well* and only played eight games after the end of July. The Reds demoted him to AAA Louisville for a brief period at the end of August.
*Thanks to muffins for the correction. I apologize for the error.
- June 7, 2007: Drafted by the Cincinnati Reds in the 1st round (15th pick) of the 2007 amateur draft. Player signed June 22, 2007.
Mesoraco is pre-arb eligible, thus the Reds can renew him at any price as long as it's above the major league minimum. He will be arb eligible in 2015 at the earliest.
Ratings via the Baseball Cube
He's a good hitter with above-average power.
Fans Scouting Report ratings (via Fangraphs):
First step: 42
Arm Strength: 68
Arm Accuracy: 46
FSR Runs Above Average: -1
The various projections systems listed at Fangraphs tend to still like Mesoraco. Given Mesoraco's slow adjustments to new levels in the past, I think cautious optimism is a good approach.
PITCHf/x Hitter Profile:
<iframe src="http://www.baseballprospectus.com/pitchfx/hitter_cards/scout_table.php?player=519023&inf=&month=&year=&throws=&pi_type=&report=count&color=&normType=&iFrame=1" width=500 height=500 frameborder=0 ></iframe>