#63 / Pitcher / Cincinnati Reds
May 04, 1984
- Samuel R. LeCure was born on May 4, 1984 in Jefferson City, Missouri.
- Sam was good enough in high school to win a scholarship to the always-great Texas Longhorns squad. He pitched for them from 2003-2005, winning the College World Series in his final year. LeCure was then drafted in the 4th round by the Reds. Also in that draft was Jay Bruce, Travis Wood, Brandon Phillips tradebait Jeff Stevens, Carlos Fisher, Adam Rosales, and Logan Ondrusek. Not a bad haul.
- A starter through his minor-league career, Sam broke in as an emergency starter in 2010. In his first 6 starts, he faced Wandy Rodriguez, Chris Carpenter, Matt Cain, Zack Greinke, Felix Hernandez, and Justin Masterson. Sick of facing the other team's ace, the Reds put LeCure in a relief role.
- He's been a spot starter and Dusty's "utility guy" in the bullpen, most famously getting five outs in game one of the NLDS after Cueto had to exit. Let us all enjoy that moment.
- Sammy is one of the Reds' best and most beloved Twitterers. Through Sam we see Jay Bruce at the Opry, what looks like the makings of a very, very, good bloody mary, and some of the best Reds-related art out there, by one Josh Stout (@JoshuaStout).
- Sam tries to fill his mouth with marshmallows for charity and signed pink shoes for the same. All counts towards being just a generally really good dude.
Drafted/Signed: Drafted in the 45th round by the Phillies in 2002, but did not sign. Drafted in the 4th round by the Reds in 2005.
MLB Service Time: 2.072 (two years and seventy-two days)
2013 Contract Status: Last year of pre-arbitration. He is under the Reds' control through the 2016 season and his pay begins to increase next year.
Ratings via TheBaseballCube:
Sammy gets strikeouts and hates walks. He got a bit "lucky" last year, but he's a solid 7th-8th inning guy. He's awesome. I hope he's reading this. You're awesome, Sam!
|2013||Fans (10)||4||3||0||51||3||75.0||8.76||3.00||0.84||.299||75.7 %||3.40||3.45||0.9|
PITCHf/x Pitcher Profile:
Can anyone actually read these things and tell me what they mean?