#45 / Pitcher / Cincinnati Reds
Aug 30, 1982
- Sean Marshall was born in Richmond, Virginia, and grew up in nearby Midlothian. He graduated from Manchester High Schoo, along with the likes of a former Ms. Virginia, NASCAR driver Denny Hamlin, and D'Angelo. Throw Marshall into that mix, and you've got yourself an awkward HS reunion.
- Marshall attended Virginia Commonwealth, spending 3 years there as a starter. He struck out almost 10 per 9 innings his junior year, and decided to leave school.
- The Cubs drafted him in the 6th round of the 2003 draft. Oddly enough, he was drafted in the same round as Ryan Braun, Kevin Kouzmanoff, and Matt Kemp. That's a pretty successful 6th round.
- The Reds drafted Richie Gardner in that round, who I barely remember pitching in Louisville in 2007. By the way, the Reds' 2003 draft has produced a WAR of 0.9 so far, with Chris Dickerson the only one in positive digits. Good grief.
- Marshall was a starter throughout his career in the minors. He was able to keep up his stellar college K-rate through the low minors, but it dropped dramatically once he got to AA and AAA. Even then, he was very good at keeping the ball in the ballpark and not walking a lot of guys.
- He made his debut in 2006 as a below average starter, going 6-9 with a 5.59 ERA. By his third year in the league, he had lowered his ERA but was relegated to bullpen duty most of the time.
- He had a major breakthrough in 2010, his first year as a full-time reliever. He pitched 74.2 innings to the tune of a 2.65 ERA, and brought his K/9 from 7.2 to 10.8.
- After the 2011 season, he was traded to the Reds. We were pretty excited about it.
- He was a tale of two halves in his debut Reds season. He put up a 3.29 ERA in save situations, but when the pressure was off of him, his ERA dropped all the way to 1.87.
Drafted/Signed: by the Chicago Cubs in the 6th round of the 2003 amateur draft. Player signed June 7, 2003.
Traded: by the Chicago Cubs to the Cincinnati Reds for Ronald Torreyes, Dave Sappelt, and Travis Wood on December 23, 2011.
MLB Service Time: 6.088
Current Contract Status: 3yr/$16.5M (13: $4.5M, 14: $5.5M, 15: $6.5M)
|162 Game Avg.||6||7||3.81||59||9||12||3||95||9||33||82||116||1.313|
|CHC (6 yrs)||32||40||3.96||292||59||50||7||530.0||56||191||439||112||1.330|
|CIN (1 yr)||5||5||2.51||73||0||22||9||61.0||3||16||74||170||1.164|
Ratings via TheBaseballCube:
His K-rate seems higher than I thought it would be, but Marshall is pretty strong in most areas.
PITCHf/x Pitcher Profile: