The Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
I probably should just give this to the Astros bullpen for being so terrible, but Jay Bruce deserves this one for honking a game tying wanger in the 8th inning in front of his friends and family in Houston. A big time honorable mention goes out to Bronson for his 6 inning, 1 run, 3 hit performance. Goodroyo has exceeded most people's expectations this year, and he's a big reason why the Reds are where they are right now.
- Not a lot happened early on in this game as Goodroyo and Bud Norris were matching each other, goose egg for goose egg until the the 5th.
- In the bottom of the 5th, the Astros loaded the bases with one out. Saturn Nuts was able to limit the damage, allowing only one run to score. Astros lead, 1-0.
- In the top of the 6th, the top of the order came to plate and all three reached, loading the bases for Jay Bruce with no outs. The Beaumont Bomber was able to work a full count, but struck out swinging. Dang. Todd ROY Frazier swung at the fisrt pitch he saw and grounded into an inning ending double play. Double dang. Astros lead, 1-0.
- In the bottom half of the 7th, Jose Arredond'oh took over for Bronson and it wasn't pretty. With one on and one out, Fernando Martinez (who?) hit a deep fly to the stupid-ass hill in center field. The ball fell just out of the reach of Drew Stubbs and allowed Martinez to make it to third. With Tyler Green batting, Ryan Hanigan made a hell of a snap throw to pick off Martinez at 3B. Later in the at bat, Green hoked a pokey into the Crawford Boxes. Astros lead 3-0.
- In the top of the 8th, Drew Stubbs worked a one-out walk, BP poked a single to move Stubby to third, and the Bruiser stepped to the plate to face the Astros LOOGY. Xavier Cedeno hung a breaking ball on the first pitch that Jay Bruce absolutely crushed into the upper deck to tie the game. But the Reds weren't finished with their rally. The Toddfather hit a single, and was driven in on a pinch hit double from Chris Heisey. Miguel Cairo doubled in Heisey to make it a 5 run inning. Reds lead 5-3.
- The back end of the bullpen did the damn thing, as Broxy and Chapman were perfect in the 8th and the 9th. Reds win, 5-3.
- Since 2010, no lefty has more home runs off of left handed pitchers than Jay Bruce. (h/t Slyde)
- Henry Rodriguez made his MLB debut today, striking out in his only AB.
- Chris Heisey's career line as a pinch hitter is .329/.393/.644
- It's fireworks day in SinseeTown. Be careful everybody, the hillbillies are out in full force.