Before we get to the games, let's all take a moment to stand up from our computers, push our glasses up on our noses, and give Billy Hamilton a round of applause. For last night, he broke a record that has stood for longer than I have been alive. Congrats, Billy Snax.
- Louisville lost an ugly one, falling 10-7 to the Columbus Clippers. Tim Gustafson got knocked around in the 3rd and didn't make it out of the inning, giving up 5 runs on 6 hits, with 4 walks and 2 Ks along the way. Nick Masset turned in an ugly performance, hurting his chances of being called up on Thursday. He gave up 3 runs on 4 hits and 2 walks before recording an out in the 7th. Woof. The other Thursday callup candidate, J.J. Hoover, struck out 3 in a scoreless 9th inning. Honestly, J.J. has earned it, sporting a nice and tidy 1.22 ERA in 37 IP in Louisville. Felix Perez went 3-5 with a double. #Addhimtothe40manroster Up Next: The pitching situation in Louisville is to the point that Kanekoa Texeira (0-3, 2.67 ERA) is making his 3rd start of the year against Nap Town at 7:05 pm ET.
- Pensacola lost both games of their double header (4-2 and 3-1, respectively), but that doesn't really matter all that much, because Billy Hamilton tied and broke the professional stolen base record of 145 held by Vince Coleman tonight, stealing 4 bases in the first game. Tony Cingrani got the start in game one, hurling 7 innings of 3 hit, 2 run ball with 7 Ks and 2 walks. In the second game, Donald Lutz went 2-3, klopfte'd ein Doppel and drove in the game's only run. Chad Rogers looks like he is enjoying the run environment in the Southern League much more than the Cali League as he gave up 1 in 4 innings and struck out 2. Up Next: Billy and the Blue Wahoos take on the Montgomery Biscuits at 7pm ET. Starters TBD.
- Bakersfield won, beating the Inland Empire 66'ers 5-2. Theo Bowe stole his 47th base of the season on a 2-4 night. He only needs 100 more to catch Billy Hamilton. Ryan "If Loving You Is Wrong I Don't Want to Be" Wright went 2-3 with a slobber knocker and 2 RBIs. Josh Smith struck out 6 in 6 IP, giving up 2 runs on 5 hits. Up Next: Danny Renken (4-9, 5.87 ERA) faces the 66'ers at 10:15 pm ET.
- Dayton won their 3rd straight game, besting Fort Wayne 6-3. Sean Buckley went 2-2 with 2 doubles, 2 walks and 3 RBIs. OurMan got himself a shiny golden sombrero, going 0-4 with 4 Ks. Sigh. Rowdy Rad Quezada threw 4 scoreless innings, striking out 5 and walking 2 while allowing 2 hits. Up Next: The Dragons head to Bowling Green for a series against the Hot Rods. No starters announced yet.
- Billings lost to Idaho Falls 5-3 on a walkoff wanger. Carlos Sanchez got half a cycle, going 2-4 with a double and a triple. My best pal Zach, who just moved to Idaho Falls, attended the game tonight. And apparently the Chukars' ballpark doesn't have clubhouse bathrooms, because during the game he went to the bathroom and standing at the urinal next to him was Mustangs right fielder Jesse Winker in full uniform. Winker went 1-4 with a double. Up Next: Billings continues their series against the Chukars at 9:15 pm ET.
- AZL won 1-0 in a game that was "completed early," whatever that means. Nick Travieso bounced back in a big way after an ugly start his last time out; hurling 4 scoreless innings, allowing 4 hits, striking out 4 and walking 1. Daniel Paula went 2-2 and drove in the game's only run. Up Next: Off Day.