The Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
Mike Leake tossed a complete game gem tonight, allowing only 4 hits and 1 earned run while striking out 4 and walking none. Leake had struggle a bit of late, allowing 20 ER in his last 5 starts (26 innings), but he was hot early and maintained his dominance throughout, needing just 111 pitches to finish it out.
Scott Rolen, Todd Frazier, and Jay Bruce all honked wangers tonight, each of the rally-killing variety. Rolen and Frazier went back to back in the 4th off of Dickey, while Bruce homered in his 3rd straight game off of Dickey in the 6th. Zack Cozart had a few doubles and walked, too, looking a lot like a leadoff hitter in the process. Good on ya, boys.
The supergrover Memorial Honorary Red Reporter of the Gamethread
It was alt-ego night tonight, as Broxy4AllStarz and AI Yellon stopped by to grace us with their presence, even coaxing that vixen Raven Riley out for a comment or two.
When the Reds win like they're winning, who knows who will show up? As we inch towards the NL Central crown, we may even see the likes of 'tHan, obcEwok, Farneyismycopilot, Ash, or even nycredsfan stop by. Wouldn't that be nice? We'll see if the Reds can oblige.
- The Reds (as they've become very adept at) got ahead early tonight. Zack Cozart led off with a double, and later scored after a Stubbs bunt (!!) and a BP single. Reds lead, 1-0.
- The Mets tied things up briefly in the 4th. Baxter and Tejada each singled, and then Daniel Murphy's double play plated Baxter. Game tied, 1-1.
- The Reds broke out their boomsticks in the bottom of the 4th, of course, as Rolen and Frazier both flogged Dickey. It's a bit disingenuous to give them equal credit, however, as Frazier hit one of the longest homers I've ever seen at GABP, clearing the batting eye. Reds led, 3-1.
- The Reds played add-on in the 6th and chased Dickey. Bruce hit a solo shot, Frazier singled and stole second, and then scored when that Leake made Dickey pay. Stubbs havoc and a Ludwick RBI single wrapped up the scoring in the 7th, and Mike Leake made sure that was that. Reds win, 6-1!
- Remember when/how/how often we've lambasted Scott Rolen's performance? Well, after tonight, he's currently sporting a .733 OPS...better than Cozart, Stubbs, Mesoraco, Hanigan, Cairo (HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA), Valdez, and Heisey. Old man is Old, no doubt, but he can still pick it at 3B; if he can keep up his current hot streak, perhaps a Cinderella finish to his HoF career could be in the makings.
- Mike Leake is now better than Homer Bailey again this time for once again maybe. Discuss.
- In honor of Melky Cabrera (and not Billy Hamilton, duh), I present you with this. Dig it. Weez drinks cold Old Gold and he lurrves them Lakers.
- Y'know? Dig this too while you're at it...because it's amazing.