The Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
Jay Bruce went 2 for 3 with a HR, 2B, R, BB and 4 RBIs. Jah Brule has really turned his game around since returning to the delicious confines of Great American Ball Park. Maybe he just needed Scott Rolen to hit behind him so he could have some lineup protection!
Sombrero-sized hat-tips to Brandon Phillips (2 for 4, 2 R, 3B, RBI) and Johnny Cueto (the usual...7 IP, 5 H, 0 R, BB, 3 K). Ten gallon-sized hat-tips to Zack Cozart and Scott Rolen; both went 1 for 4, but were spectacular on defense in backing up Cueto. Good on ya, boys!
- The Reds commenced their tail whippin' in the bottom of 1st. A two-out double by Joey Votto was followed by a Brandon Phillips "triple" to center field, a Jay Bruce walk, and a Scott Rolen single. Reds lead, 2-0.
- The Reds got some help in the bottom of the 3rd. After Cozart singled up the middle, Votto hit what very well should have been a double play ball towards Jose Altuve of the Astros. Thankfully, they're not called the DisAstros for nothing, and the Votto reached on Altuve's error. Votto then stole second, and both he and Cozart scored on Bruce's double. Reds lead, 4-0.
- In the bottom of the 5th, Phillips singled to left, and Bruce followed with his 6th home run of the year to put the Reds up 6-0. Cueto left after 7 solid innings, and Logan Ondrusek and Aroldis Chapman came on to close it out. Reds win, 6-0!
- If you still don't think Johnny Cueto is an ace, I don't know what to tell you. After 5 games this season, he's 3-0 with a 1.39 ERA, 1.05 WHIP, with 22 K in 32.1 IP. His 2011-2012 stats combined: 29 G, 189.1 IP, 2.14 ERA, 1.08 WHIP, 126 K, 54 BB. Ace.
- Jay Bruce in GABP destroys baseballs like a cross between END and a woodchipper (and ninos and tree limbs, apparently). After today, his home line: 16 for 41, 9 R, 2 2B, 6 HR, 15 RBI. That puts his home OPS well over 1.200 for the season, dwarfing his 0 HR induced .493 road OPS. Yay homestand!
- Jay has homered in 3 straight games, and with his single today Ryan Hanigan stretched his hitting streak to 7 games. Do all of us a favor and try not to mention "streaking" to jch24.
- The Reds have two shutouts to their credit this season, and both were games started by Johnathan Q. Ato.
- Mat Latos will take the mound in the rubber match tomorrow at 1:05pm against another random Astros starter I've not become familiar with. Watch it!