Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
Edgar Renteria. Yes, his two hits and home run were quite nice, but at this stage in the season, I'm just rooting for chances to make 'creds look silly. Honorable mentions go to Jay Bruce and Joey Votto for their home runs.
- Like UC Santa Cruz's Homecoming, this game was a Slugfest. It got started in the fourth inning when both Edgar Renteria and Jay Bruce hit home runs. AND THAT'S WHY YOU BAT HIM SECOND! Reds lead, 2-0.
- The Rockies responded in the fifth inning, with Chris Iannetta leading off with a double. Kevin Millwood bunted him over to third, and Dexter Fowler's single allowed Iannetta to score easily. Chris Nelson singled, one of the eleven hits that Mike Leake gave up on the night, but like those other instances, he was able to escape the threat and mitigate the damage courtesy of well-timed double play off the bat of Carlos Gonzalez. Reds lead, 2-1.
- Of course, you won't turn many double plays when the ball is already in the stands. Troy Tulowitzki homered to lead off the sixth. Game tied, 2-2.
- Fortunately, the Reds have their own slugging infielder. Joey Votto homered off of Kevin Millwood to lead off the bottom of the sixth. Check, and mate, Mr. Tulowitzki. Reds win, 3-2.
- The Rockies nearly tied the game in the ninth inning, but pinch runner Eric Young was caught in a rundown between third and home. Then Dexter Fowler ran into the tag on a grounder to third base to end the game.
- Mike Leake became the first Red to earn 10 wins this season.
- It was Kevin Millwood's season debut. Edgar Renteria has homered off of Millwood three times.
- Besides solo home runs and odd baserunning, this game featured six double plays. Luckily for the Reds - and the hittable Leake - Cincinnati turned four of them.
- Joey Votto has 18 home runs. Francisco Cordero has 21 saves. Whose total will be highest by the end of the season?
|Final - 8.10.2011||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|WP: Mike Leake (10 - 7)
SV: Francisco Cordero (21)
LP: Kevin Millwood (0 - 1)
Complete Coverage >