Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
Ryan Hanigan. Hanigan went 2-3 with a double, and also reached via a walk. Not only that, but he threw out two would be basestealers as well. Honorable mentions go to Mike Leake (six innings of two hit ball, allowing only the one run. One run too many, evidently.) and Ramon Hernandez, who singled as a pinch hitter (our catchers are awesome).
- Frakking first inning. Mike Leake gave up a one out single to Josh Harrison, then a ground rule double to Neil Walker, putting runners on second and third. Andrew McCutchen grounded to shortstop, and Zack Cozart threw to first to get the sure out rather than trying for the play at the plate. Hey, it's the first inning and you've got the whole game left to score runs, right? Pirates win, 1-0.
- Jay Bruce struck out with the bases loaded, and also grounded out with two runners on in the ninth to end the game. Joey Votto went 0-4 with 3 strikeouts.
- The Reds are 6-43 with runners in scoring position since the All-Star break.
- Mike Leake did not allow a hit after the first inning.
- Zack Cozart's hitting streak came to an end, failing to surpass Adam Dunn for the longest streak to start a Reds career.
- We're sellers.