Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
Ramon Hernandez. Simply by dint of being the only batter that didn't strike out. And he had a hit, so that's nice. Honorable mentions go to Jay Bruce (dinger!) and Joey Votto (timely hitting!).
- Both Johnny Cueto and David Price were pitching no-hitters until the fourth inning when Johnny Damon hit a home run. Stupid, stupid Johnny Damon! Rays lead, 1-0.
- The Reds were able to strand a couple of runners, but Cincinnati has always had difficulty with Price on the hill. In the eighth inning though, the Reds finally put some runs across. Drew Stubbs led off with a triple, and Edgar Renteria singled, tying the game. Chris Heisey and Brandon Phillips both struck out, but Renteria stole second, and Joey Votto doubled, giving the Reds the lead! Joel Peralta came in to relieve Price, and threw a wild pitch. With Votto on third, Scott Rolen struck out. Reds lead, 2-1.
- Johnny Cueto had basically matched Price. And sadly, he did so in the eighth, too. John Jaso singled with one out, and Justin "Yossarian" Ruggiano pinch ran for him. Sam Fuld singled and Ruggiano moved to second. Cueto got Reid Brignac to fly out before giving way to Bill Bray. Bray gave up a double to Johnny Damon that deflected off of Chris Heisey. Stupid, stupid Johnny Damon! Rays lead, 3-2.
- Jay Bruce homered off of Kyle Farnsworth in the ninth inning to tie the game once again. Drew Stubbs also singled with two outs, but was caught stealing to send it to the bottom of the ninth. Game tied, 3-3.
- And Evan Longoria homered off of Logan Ondrusek. Rays win, 4-3.
- Johnny Damon is one hit behind Ted Williams on the career hit list. Williams may have served in World War II and Korea, but Damon served in Kansas City and Detroit. Call it a draw.
- Jay Bruce had gone 84 at bats without a home run. It was only his second home run of June.
- David Price was pitching well (or perhaps benefitting from a generous zone). He threw 93 fastballs, 70 of which were strikes. That 75.3% strike rate was the highest he's had in a game this season.
- The Rays finally beat the Reds for the first time ever.
|Final - 6.28.2011||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Tampa Bay Rays||0||0||0||1||0||0||0||2||1||4||6||0|
|WP: Kyle Farnsworth (3 - 1)
LP: Logan Ondrusek (3 - 3)