LeBronson didn't even show up for this game.
Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
Drew Stubbs. The leadoff man reached base four times tonight, with two hits, a walk, and a hit by pitch. A fat lot of good it did the rest of the team though, as no one could drive him in. Honorable mentions go to Scott Rolen (a double and an RBI) and Ramon Hernandez (two hits).
- As predicted in the game thread, walks and wildness were the order of the day. In the fourth inning, Jonathan Sanchez hit Joey Votto with a pitch and walked Jay Bruce. Scott Rolen then hit a ball over the head of Cody Ross, and Votto came around to score. Bruce ended up on third. Jonny Gomes walked, loading the bases with no outs. Edgar Renteria sent a ball into the outfield that was deep enough to bring home Bruce, but then Ramon Hernandez grounded into an inning ending double play. Reds lead, 2-0.
- In the bottom of the inning, thorny Nate Schierholtz singled with one out, and Aubrey Huff doubled. Schierholtz scored. Reds lead, 2-1.
- Rather shockingly, Edinson Volquez led off the fifth inning with a single. Drew Stubbs then hit a ball well, but Volquez held up at second rather than going to third, and Stubbs was held to just a single. Brandon Phillips, who had a pretty lousy night, struck out, and Joey Votto flew out to Cody Ross. Ross threw it to second where they caught Volquez unaware and doubled him off to end the inning.
- The Giants scored a very Reds-like run in the bottom of the sixth, using aggressive baserunning and taking advantage of defensive miscues. Thorny Nate Schierholtz walked, then went to third on a single by Aubrey Huff. Cody Ross then hit a grounder to Edgar Renteria, who couldn't get the ball out of his glove in time to try for a double play. Schierholtz scampered home. Game tied.
- Dusty Baker broke out his patented use-3-relievers-in-one-inning move in the seventh. Jose Arredondo started things off by walking Chris Stewart. He struck out pinch hitter Pat Burrell, but then surrendered a double to Andres Torres. An intentional walk to Miguel Tejada, and the bases were loaded. In came Bill Bray, who got thorny Nate Schierholtz out, but only after he'd hit the ball long enough to allow Stewart to tag and score. Then Aubrey Huff singled, scoring Torres. Finally, Nick Masset came in and got Cody Ross to fly out. Giants win, 4-2.
- Volquez, despite not being particularly effective, still threw six innings and gave up only two runs. The quality start streak is intact!
|Final - 6.12.2011||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|San Francisco Giants||0||0||0||1||0||1||2||0||X||4||7||0|
|WP: Ramon Ramirez (2 - 0)
SV: Brian Wilson (18)
LP: Jose Arredondo (0 - 2)