Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
Johnny Cueto. People were clamoring for the return of Homer Bailey and Johnny Cueto, and neither one of them disappointed in their season debut. Today was Cueto's turn, and he threw six shutout innings, allowing only five hits and a walk, striking out four. Honorable mentions go to Drew Stubbs and Jay Bruce.
- The Reds squandered a leadoff double by Drew Stubbs in the first, but Jay Bruce singled to lead off the second. Jonny Gomes grounded out, but Bruce was able to go to second. Ramon Hernandez singled and Bruce went from being in scoring position to scored position. Reds lead, 1-0.
- The Cubs hilariously failed to score in the third inning. With one out, Ryan Dempster singled. Kosuke Fukudome hit a ball to Edgar Renteria, who went for the force at second but threw the ball away. Dempster went to third, and Fukudome was at first. Then Starlin Castro hit a ball to third base. Miguel Cairo came home with it, and Dempster was out at the plate. Marlon Byrd smashed a ball back at Johnny Cueto, who deflected it, and Byrd reached on an infield hit. The bases were loaded, but Aramis Ramirez flew out to Jonny Gomes.
- In the fifth inning, Drew Stubbs homered into the basket above left field. Reds lead, 2-0.
- The Cubs hilariously failed to score in the seventh inning. Dusty Baker, for some reason, decided to let Johnny Cueto start the inning, and he gave up a single to Alfonso Soriano. Bill Bray relieved him and struck out Carlos Pena. Sam LeCure then came in and got Geovany Soto to fly out. He then hit pinch hitter Reed Johnson, and walked Kosuke Fukudome to load the bases. Starlin Castro then grounded out. Reds win, 2-0.
- Lousy Cubs! Once again, Joey Votto's incredibly long on-base streak comes to an end in Chicago.
- Francisco Cordero is only four saves away from 300 for his career.
- "Balk a Day" Bob Davidson worked overtime and called two balks, one on Johnny Cueto and one on Nick Masset.
- Votto normally does very well against the Cubs, but was only 1-9 in this series with six strikeouts.
|Final - 5.8.2011||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|WP: Johnny Cueto (1 - 0)
SV: Francisco Cordero (6)
LP: Ryan Dempster (1 - 4)