Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
Travis Wood. I mean, come ON! The guy pitched seven innings while giving up only five hits and walking two. The only run that scored in that time came around due to his own throwing error. But he even made up for that by homering off of Adam Wainwright in his second AB. Honorable mentions go to Jonny Gomes, who went 2 for 4 with a double and two RBI, and Aaron Miles and Matt Holliday, who had some key defensive miscues to help the Reds to some of those runs.
- After an Aaron Miles error on what probably should have been a double play, the Reds had the bases loaded in the first with one out. Ramon Hernandez sac fly'd in a run, and Jonny Gomes doubled in two more. Reds up, 3-0.
- The Cardinals got one back in the bottom of the first off of two singles and a throwing error.
- Wood homered in the fourth. Reds up 4-1.
- Aroldis Chapman pitched the eighth and got into some trouble, at least partially due to a slightly inconsistent strike zone. After walking John Jay, though, he got Albert Pujols to ground into a double play to end the threat.
- In the top of the ninth, Yonder Alonso pinch hit and got his first hit of his career. It was mostly Holliday's fault, though, as it bounced off of him into the stands for a ground rule double. A groundout and a Votto single scored him.
- Francisco Cordero allowed one baserunner in the ninth but no runs, and the Reds won, 6-1.