Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
I don't have a lot of time, so here's the quick and dirty:
- Reds scored first, because Votto is awesome. Reds lead 1-0.
- Padres came back with the boom-boom. Padres lead, 2-1.
- Brandon Phillips was intentionally walked to load the bases. Chris Heisey intentionally doubled to unload them. Reds lead, 4-2.
- Gomes walked. Phillips homered, his 17th of the season. Reds lead 6-2.
- Padres begged for mercy. Reds showed none. Scored 6 in the 8th. Reds win 12-2.
- Outside of two home runs in the 2nd, Homer Bailey looked very good. He pitched 7 innings, allowing 5 hits and one walk, striking out six, taking home his 4th win of the season. The Reds are 8-1 in his starts since he came off the DL.
- If either Phillips or Gomes gets hot this week and hits 3 HR, the Reds will match a team record with 5 players with 20 HR for the season. If both do it, it will be a new record.
- Orlando Cabrera left the game early with a sore left side. Jay Bruce did not start because of a sore side. The sooner these guys can clinch, the better.
- There was about a half-an-hour there where it looked like the Cardinals might blow an 8-run lead, opening the door for the Reds to clinch today. Alas, the Cardinals won 8-7. The Reds' magic number is now 1. They will clinch with a Cardinals loss on Monday or a Reds win on Tuesday. Since I'll be at the game on Tuesday, I choose the ladder option.
|Final - 9.26.2010||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||10||R||H||E|
|San Diego Padres||0||2||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||2||6||0|
|WP: Homer Bailey (4 - 3)
LP: Clayton Richard (13 - 9)