Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
Neil Walker. Todd's younger brother (probably) went 3-4 with a double and four RBI. Our own second baseman played well too, as honorable mentions go to Brandon Phillips, Chris Heisey, and Jordan Smith.
- Mike Leake had an absolutely atrocious second inning. With one out, Pedro Alvarez walked, then Lastings Milledge hit a ball towards third base. It squirted under Scott Rolen's glove and went for a double, sending Alvarez to third. Chris Snyder then singled and both baserunners scored. Noted Reds killer Ronny Cedeno popped out, but Paul Maholm, owner of a .071 batting average, singled. Leake then threw a pitch that ran up high and nailed Andrew McCutchen right in the head. After some tense moments, McCutchen stood up but left the game. Delwyn Young came in as a pinch runner and the bases were loaded. A rattled Leake then gave up a run-scoring single to Jose Tabata and a bases-clearing double to Neil Walker. As the dust cleared, Pirates lead, 6-0.
- The Reds began to claw their way back in the fourth inning. Miguel Cairo led off with a single and moved to second one out later when Jonny Gomes walked. Jay Bruce moved him to third with a fielder's choice, and Chris Heisey singled to bring Cairo in. Pirates lead, 6-1.
- In the fifth inning, Jose Tabata hit an infield dribbler towards third base. Mike Leake got to it before Scott Rolen did and sailed his throw into right field. Tabata went to third on the error. Neil Walker singled, and the Pirates scored a seemingly meaningless run. Pirates lead, 7-1.
- Scott Rolen and Jonny Gomes both singled in the sixth inning with one out. Jay Bruce hit into another fielder's choice, and Rolen scored when Chris Heisey singled again. Then Bruce scored when Ramon Hernandez singled. Pirates lead, 7-3.
- By the seventh inning, the Reds looked to take advantage of a tiring Paul Maholm. Brandon Phillips led off with a double, and Paul Janish moved him to third with a single of his own, and even advanced to second on the throw. Runners on second and third with no outs. Evan Meek inherited the runners and faced Miguel Cairo. Cairo grounded out, but it was enough to score Phillips. Then Scott Rolen grounded out and Jonny Gomes struck out. A great chance, squandered. Pirates lead, 7-4.
- In the eighth inning, Chris Heisey and pinch hitter Laynce Nix drew walks, and Brandon Phillips hit a two out double to score them both and bring the game within one. Joey Votto pinch hit for Paul Janish, but the Pirates intentionally walked him and then got Miguel Cairo to pop out. Pirates lead, 7-6.
- In the ninth inning with a runner on, Jonny Gomes fouled out, and Bruce and Heisey both struck out.
- Jonny Gomes and Jay Bruce went a combined 1-9 with 1 run, 1 RBI, a walk, and three strikeouts.
- Jay Bruce has played in every game this season. 108 games played ties a career high for him.
- Jordan Smith hasn't given up a run since July 8. He has been perfect in his last nine appearances, totalling ten scoreless innings.
|Final - 8.3.2010||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|WP: Paul Maholm (7 - 9)
SV: Joel Hanrahan (1)
LP: Mike Leake (7 - 3)