Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
Drew Stubbs went 3 for 5 with a double and two stolen bases. Oh, and he scored three runs. Honorable mentions go to Sam LeCure (two perfect innings of relief) and Ramon Hernandez, who went 3 for 4.
- Drew Stubbs led off for the Reds with a double, moved to third on a Chris Valaika bunt, and scored on a Joey Votto groundout. Reds lead, 1-0.
- The Cubs got one back in the second on a Geovany Soto walk and singles by Jeff Baker and Starlin Castro. Tied at 1.
- The Reds came back with one run in each of the next two innings. In the second, Heisey doubled and scored on a Hernandez single. In the third, Stubbs singled, moved to third on a Votto single, and scored on a Scott Rolen sac fly. Reds up, 3-1.
- Travis Wood let the Cubs tie it up in the fifth, giving up two doubles and a single and an RBI groundout. 3-3.
- LeCure didn't allow any baserunners in the sixth and seventh innings. In the meantime, Jay Bruce hit a solo HR in the sixth. In the seventh, Drew Stubbs reached on a bunt single. He stole second and the throw went into the outfield, allowing him to take third as well. He then scored on a Chris Valaika single. Reds up, 5-3.
- Arthur Rhodes came in to pitch the eighth, giving up a Soto double and a Kosuke Fukudome HR to tie the game at 5. After two more singles and a K, Logan Ondrusek came in and induced a double play to get out of the inning.
- In the eighth, Chris Heisey singled to left. Hernandez, the next batter, singled through the infield hole between first and second (as Brantley noted, "that's the hole he loves!"). Heisey headed for third and Fukudome threw the ball off line and into the dugout. HAVOC run!
- Paul Janish then singled Ramon over to third. Brandon Phillips came in to run for Hernandez, and he scored on a Jonny Gomes grounder that ended up being an infield hit. Reds lead, 7-5.
- Francisco Cordero came in to pitch a perfect inning to close it out. Reds win!