Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
- A Ryan Zimmerman error led off the game. One out later, Brandon Phillips scored on Joey Votto's 10th double of the year. Reds led 1-0.
- The Nats had 1st and 3rd with 2 outs in the bottom of the first, but Mike Leake did not care and got Josh Willingham to fly out to center.
- Nyjer Morgan doubled with one out in the third inning, but Leake laughed at the threat, getting a fly out from Zimmerman and striking out Adam Dunn.
- Scott Rolen led off the 4th with a double, but nothing happened.
- Leake reached on a one-out single in the 5th and came around to score from first on Orlando Cabrera's double. Reds led 2-0.
- The Nationals dented the plate in the 6th when Joey Votto dropped a 2-out soft liner with men on first and second allowing Zimmerman to come around to score. Reds led 2-1.
- Cabrera led off the 8th with his 12th double of the year. After failing to get the bunt down, Brandon Phillips singled on a ground ball to center, plating Cabrera. Phillips advanced to third on a wild pitch and fielder interference by shortstop Ian Desmond. Votto walked to make it first and third. Rolen ground to Desmond who came home with the throw, something catcher Wil Nieves wishes he hadn't done. Phillips blasted through Nieves knocking the ball from his hand and scoring the fourth run of the game for the Reds. One out later, Jay Bruce's single scored Votto. Reds led 5-1.
- Arthur Rhodes and Francisco Cordero pitched scoreless innings in the 8th and 9th.
- Leake has had a quality start (6+ IP, 3 or fewer runs) in all but one of his starts. In his one start where he did not have a quality start, he had given up 3 runs in 6 innings but then gave up 2 runs in the 7th inning to lose the quality start, but still get the victory in the game.
- Arthur Rhodes extended his consecutive scoreless innings streak to 22. He's given up 1 run in 24 innings this season (0.38 ERA).
- Former Red Adam Dunn was 1-for-4 with 2 strikeouts and a GIDP. Michael smiled gleefully.
- This was the 8th game this year in which the Reds have hit 4 doubles.
- Nats manager Jim Riggleman was tossed for arguing the fielder interference play in the 8th. Pitcher Miguel Batista was ejected after hitting Brandon Phillips in obvious retaliation for his chest-pounding after plowing through catcher Wil Nieves. It was the fourth ejection for the Nats in the last 2 games.