Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Co-Stars of the Game
Tonight's honors will be shared by two players, Jay Bruce and Ramon Hernandez. Each hit two home runs. Jay Bruce added a single to go 3 for 5, and Ramon hit two singles to go 4 for 4. Pretty decent nights for both.
Honorable mention goes to Aaron Harang, who pitched 7 innings and gave up only one run. He struck out four, walked two, and gave up four hits.
- The Astros actually scored first in the second inning. A double, a walk, and an error by Orlando Cabrera loaded the bases with no outs. A groundout scored a run, but after another walk Lance Berkman was picked off of third base and the pitcher struck out to end the threat.
- Jay Bruce led off the bottom of the second with a home run. After a Gomes groundout, Stubbs tripled and scored on a Ramon Hernandez single. Reds lead, 2-1.
- The Reds broke the game open in the third. Cabrera singled, stole second and scored on a Miguel Cairo double. Brandon Phillips and Scott Rolen then singled, scoring another. And then Bruce hit his second HR of the night. Two outs later, Hernandez homered, too! And Brian Moehler was chased by Harang's subsequent single. Reds lead 8-1.
- In the bottom of the fourth, Cairo hit another HR. Seriously.
- In the fifth, Drew Stubbs and Hernandez hit back-to-back home runs. At this point it was just getting ridiculous, and the Reds were up 11-1.
- Some guy named Paul Janish was inserted into the lineup for Cabrera in the seventh. He singled to score Stubbs for the Reds' final run in the eighth.
- Carlos Fisher pitched a scoreless eighth, then Nick Masset came in for the ninth. He gave up a double, a single, and a run on a sacrifice fly, but got two strikeouts to close out the game. Reds win, 12-2.
- The Reds extended their streak of consecutive games with a HR to 18. They've hit 33 in those 18 games.
- Only two players batted but didn't get a hit: Chris Heisey (0 for 1) and Jonny Gomes (0 for 4). Gomes is obviously just not a very good hitter.
A New Feature!
We here at Red Reporter spend lots of time finding out about stuff that other people are doing, and we've stumbled upon this roll call of the top commenters of the night (as of writing this). Since it's Saturday night, I like to call this the Biggest Loser List.
1. Caleb 82
2. Gray 76
3. ZJiff30 75
4. the finest muffins 64
5. kcgard2 62
6. Excalib8 56
7. BK 51
8. Lucky Pierre 38
9. Paul Householder 32
10. souldrummer 30