Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
Jay Bruce. Bruce did not make an out tonight, singling 3 times, doubling once, and walking once in his 5 plate appearances. He also swiped a bag. Honorable mentions to Johnny Cueto for going 6-strong and striking out 5, and Drew Stubbs for reaching base 3 times and stealing two bases.
- The Reds lit up the scoreboard early, scoring 2 in the first. Brandon Phillips racked a double to left and scored on Joey Votto's single to center. Joey went to second on the throw (aggressive baserunning!) and scored himself when JNMHSotG Jay Bruce singled.
- They weren't finished roughing up Fausto Carmona (that is one bad ass pirate name, is it not?) as in the 4th inning Laynce Nix lambaysted a 2-run-homer to right field. Dude is hittin' nails lately. He's started the last 3 games since coming off the shadow DL and has 3 homers and 3 doubles.
- The Reds played some smaw baw in the 5th to push another run across, as BeeP reached on an error, stole 2nd, moved to 3rd on Votto's ground out, and scored on Scott Rolen's sac fly. Get them on! Get them over! Get them in!
- The Indians finally cracked Cueto in the 6th, who was cruising in his customary fashion. As also is his custom, he was bitten in the tail by the long ball. After walking Trevor Crowe to lead off the inning, he struck out both Shin-Soo Choo and Austin Kearns. That's when Travis Hafner pronkonated the 8th pitch of his at-bat over the center field wall. After walking Johnny Peralta on 7 pitches, there was some concern regarding a blister on Cueto's pitching hand. Dusty Baker came out to check on it, but Cueto insisted it was no thang. He then induced a pop-up from Matt LaPorta.
- After the Reds tacked on another run in the 7th, Francisco Cordero entered the 9th with a 6-2 lead. He struggled mightily. LaPorta led off the inning with a single and an out later Shelley Duncan singled himself. After a walk to Russell Branyan, Trevor Crowe hit a bases-loaded single to score 2. Just as Reds fans began searching for their barf buckets, Coco buckled down and struck out Choo and induced a fly out from Kearns to finish the game. Phew! Reds win 6-4.
- The Reds stole 4 bases tonight. I'm gonna say that's the most they've stolen in a game this season. I'm not even gonna look it up.
- Brandon Phillips hit 2 more doubles tonight, giving him 10 doubles hitting from the 2 hole this season. He's only GIBP 3 times.
- Johnny Cueto has shaved his ERA down to 3.60. I like him.
- It took Coco 36 pitches to get through the 9th. I have a feeling we will not see him tomorrow.
- Nick Masset appeared in his 4th consecutive game. I don't think we'll see him either. Arthur Rhodes was unavailable tonight because he pitched in 3 straight. This 20 game streak without a day off is kind of a bitch.