Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
Jeff Fulchino. He threw the wild pitch that allowed Joey Votto to score the winning run. Votto, Brandon Phillips, Drew Stubbs, and Wladimir Balentien all had big games as well.
- The Astros made some plays and there was some exciting defense, but they lost so screw them. They're not getting recapped anymore.
- Jonny Gomes hit a home run in the second inning to give the Reds the lead.
- Drew Stubbs hit a home run in the third, then Joey Votto walked, went to third on Phillips's single, and scored on Scott Rolen's sacrifice fly. Two runs! Tie game!
- Wladimir Balentien hit a double to lead off the fourth inning. He moved to third on Craig Tatum's sacrifice fly, and scored when Justin Lehr bunted to the pitcher, and Yorman Bazardo threw it away. Reds lead, 4-3!
- Balentien scored again in the sixth inning. He singled, and Tatum bunted him to second. After Jay Bruce struck out, Drew Stubbs singled to bring in Balentien. Tie game!
- Joey Votto and Brandon Phillips singled to begin the seventh inning, putting runners on the corners. Scott Rolen came up and struck out, but not before Jeff Fulchino threw a wild pitch and Votto crossed the plate with the winning run.
- The Reds are only three games out of fourth place. Here we come!
- Jeff Keppinger hit two home runs - in the same game! It was the first time he'd ever done that.
- This was the second series against the Astros that the Reds have swept in Cincinnati this season. The Reds have won seven in a row against the 'Stros.
- The Astros hit five home runs off of Justin Lehr, which tied a club record. The last Reds pitcher to give up five homers was Brandon Claussen on July 18, 2005.
- Jonny Gomes became the third Red to reach the 20 homer mark. He's only one behind Joey Votto for the club lead.
- Juan Francisco drew a walk. ZOMG! His ML walk rate of 50% is blowing away his minor league numbers.
- Coco Cordero has pitched - and gotten a save in - the last three days and four of the last five. Let's hope for a blowout tomorrow.
|Final - 9.16.2009||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|WP: Jared Burton (1 - 0)
SV: Francisco Cordero (37)
LP: Wesley Wright (3 - 3)