Joe Nuxhall Memorial Star of the Game
Matt Maloney. I can't say enough about how well he performed in his major league debut. He had a little trouble early, but bounced back to pitch 6+ innings of solid ball. You can't ask for much more out of your 5th starter. He gave up 2 runs, both on solo shots, and struck out 4 hitters.
- With a little trouble in the first, Matt Maloney buckled down. After a double by Alfonso Soriano and his steal of 2nd base, Chris Dickerson made an amazing catch in center field for tonight's Frischs Big Boy Big Play of the Game.
- In the bottom of the inning, Dickerson produced on offense by singling in Jerry Hairston Jr., and a 2-run HR by Ramon Hernandez gave the Reds a 3-0 lead.
- In the 4th, Bobby Scales homered off of Maloney to put the Cubs on the board.
- In the top of the 7th, Maloney faced his last hitter when Geovany Soto hit a solo HR of his own. Daniel Ray Herrera came in for Maloney and got three quick outs to end the Cubs threat.
- In the dreaded 8th, David Weathers gave up the tying run as Jake Fox hit a sacrifice fly to center. Dickerson made yet another amazing sliding catch, but by the time he got up and threw the ball in, Ryan Theriot had already scored to tie the game.
- In the 11th inning, Jay Bruce scored the winning run as he was running on contact as pinch hitter Adam Rosales hit a dribbler down the 3rd base line. Seemingly, Bruce's size caused Mike Fontenot to make a bad throw, allowing Bruce to score the winning run.
- Matt Maloney was the first Reds pitcher to get a base hit in his first major league AB since Scott Randall in 2003.
- Jay Bruce needs to take the getaway day tomorrow off. He went 0-for-3 again, and his average is down to .212. His plate discipline has still been decent, but he can't get a base hit to drop to save his life. A day away would clear his head a bit and let him start fresh and rested on the upcoming road trip. We're gonna need him.
- Furthermore, Jonny Gomes should start in RF tomorrow. He hasn't started since May 25, which was almost 2 weeks ago, and was 3-for-4 in that game.
- Hairston had two hits in the leadoff spot, and scored a run.
- Nick Masset continues to dominate out of the bullpen, as he pitched 2 perfect innings to get the win. His ERA is 0.86 right now, which is downright studly.
- Dickerson has absolutely killed the Cubs in this series on defense in CF. He's got 4 diving catches and an assist in 2 games.
- GABP sold out, for (if I'm recalling correctly) the 2nd time this season. Hopefully that number will continue to increase as the Reds stay in the hunt.