Joe Nuxhall Memorial Star of the Game
Carlos Zambrano. Big Z shut the Reds offense down, pitching 6 2/3 innings of shutout ball. He also hit a home run, which turned out to be the winning run.
Micah Owings walked in a run in the 1st to give the Cubs a 1-0 lead.
- Carlos Zambrano hit a homer in the 5th to extend the lead.
- The Reds mounted a rally in the 8th behind a Brandon Phillips triple that scored Jerry Hairston Jr., our Frischs Big Boy Big Play of the Game.
Chris Dickerson had a really up and down night. He made two impressive diving catches in center field to save runs in the 8th and 9th inning, but popped out with two on in the 9th to end the game.
Jay Bruce broke his slump by going 1-for-2 with two walks. Unfortunately, the only AB where he didn't get on base was with a runner on in the 8th, down a run.
- Micah Owings had control problems early, but bounced back to have a pretty solid start. He gave up two runs total in his 6 innings of work, and struck out 6. It's a shame the offense couldn't produce any support for him.
- It's Owings' seventh loss of the season, and the first that he's pitched a quality start in. It's also the first quality start he's pitched this season where he hasn't won (out of 3).
- Is it just me, or is it pretty surprising that Micah is now tied for the major league lead in losses? Seems like he's getting some tough luck, as Manny Parra and Francisco Liriano, the two guys he's tied with, both have an ERA over 6 while Micah's is under 5 at 4.90.
- Laynce Nix, Jerry Hairston Jr., and Chris Dickerson didn't respond well to their new roles in the lineup. They all went 0-for-4. This lineup is missing Votto and Willy badly.