Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Player of the Game
Dan Haren. Not only did he throw seven innings of one run ball, not only did he strike out nine batters, he also went 2-2 with a double and a home run.
- In the second inning with two outs and two on, Miguel Montero singled to right field. Chris Young tried to score from second, but Jay nailed him at the plate. All those who complain that Jay is just a younger Adam Dunn are invited to cram it.
- It spiraled out of control from there. Dan Haren doubled to lead off the third inning, but was erased on a throw to the plate from Jerry Hairston. There was one on, two outs, and the ground ball to Brandon Phillips should have ended things. Instead, he threw it away and there were runners on second and third. Singles by Gerardo Parra and Mark Reynolds put us down 3-0. And since Dan Haren hasn't surrendered more than three runs in a game all year, that was it.
- Three innings later, Arroyo walked Tony Clark, then gave up back to back jacks to Miguel Montero and Dan Haren. The 8th hitter and the pitcher. And that's when you know it's not your night.
- The Reds did break the goose egg in the seventh with doubles from Laynce Nix and Ramon Hernandez.
- In the 8th, Danny Richar walked, Willy Taveras singled, and Votto got his hit. The bases were loaded with one out. If the Reds were going to mount any kind of threat, this was the time. Brandon Phillips flew out (Richar tagged and scored) and Nix flied out. That was that.
Fangraphs looks like the elevation map from Denver to Lawrence.
- It was Dan Haren's first career home run.
- The Diamondbacks had lost five in a row and eight of nine. Remember when we said that playoff teams should beat up on bad teams?
- The Reds run in the seventh was only the eighth run that Haren has given up in six June starts.
- The NIH says that symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome include fingers that "feel useless or swollen," and "[d]ecreased grip strength may make it difficult to form a fist, grasp small objects, or perform other manual tasks." Women are three times likelier than men to develop carpal tunnel. Get a haircut, Bronson!
|Final - 6.30.2009||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|WP: Dan Haren (7 - 5)
LP: Bronson Arroyo (8 - 7)
Complete Coverage >