After a pretty late night with the rain delay and all, we're back at it with another Featured Farmhand. Today we look at Louisville Bat Drew Sutton.
- Drew Sutton was a 15th round pick by the Astros in 2004 out of Baylor. He played all over the infield, but was predominantly a 2B.
- At 6'3", Sutton is pretty tall for a middle infielder. Although he played 2B initially coming up, he's been more of a 3B the past 3 seasons.
- He had a breakout season last year in AA Corpus Christi. Sutton hit .317/.408/.523 with 20 HR and 69 RBI. He was named the Astros #9 prospect by BA coming into this season.
- He continued his hot hitting in the Arizona Fall League in the offseason, hitting .315/.426/.611 there.
- He was acquired by the Reds for statuesque infielder Jeff Keppinger. He was batting .267 in 15 ABs at the time.
- In Louisville so far this season, he's continued his hot bat lately. He's only hitting .244, but has a .382 OBP and .500 SLG% in 82 AB after being injured for most of May.
And now, on to the games from last night:
Louisville won 6-4 behind the long ball. Drew Sutton, Kevin Barker, and Craig Tatum all homered for the Bats, and Drew Stubbs was 2-for-3 with a RBI to lead the offense. Ramon Ramirez gave up 1 run in 5 innings to get the win, and Pedro Viola earned his 4th save of the season with 1 2/3 perfect innings. Up next: Homer Bailey takes on Norfolk at 11:45 ET. You can listen for free online on the Bats' site.
Carolina was off. Zach Stewart takes on Tennessee at 7.
Sarasota lost to Clearwater 9-1, as Jeremy Horst and Lee Tabor both got shelled. Jason Louwsma and Mariekson Gregorius had two hits each to lead the offense, and on the bright side of the pitching line, Mark Pawelek pitched a perfect inning of relief. Up next: Matt Klinker returns off the DL to take the hill against Clearwater at 11AM.
- Dayton came out to an early lead and never looked back, even though their game was shortened by rain as they won 6-3 in 7. Lance Janke gave up 2 runs in 6 innings pitched, and Cody Puckett, Stephen Chapman, and Michael Konstanty drove in 2 runs each. Up next: J.C. Sulbaran takes the ball against Lansing, game time at 7:05.
- Roster Moves: Lefty reliever Camilo Vazquez has joined the Bats in AAA. Starter Matt Klinker rejoins the Sarasota rotation, as well as outfielder Keltavious Jones (who goes by Kel now), who takes his first assignment of the year.