Louisville lost to Norfolk 5-1, as the Bats offense couldn't get past a 4-run first by the Tides. Kevin Barker hit his 8th HR of the season, and Wes Bankston had two hits for the Bats. Of course, on the day where I clamor for him to get called up to the big leagues, Drew Sutton goes 0-for-3 with a golden sombrero. Another guy who should be called up, Drew Stubbs, went 1-for-5, but stole his 23rd base of the season, which is 192% more than current leadoff hitter Willy Taveras. Also, his one hit on the evening is infinitely more than Willy's had in the past 3 weeks. Stubbs' batting average in June is 340 points higher than Willy's. I can't stress this enough. Up next: Ramon Ramirez takes on Norfolk at 7:05.
- Carolina won 2-0 in a rain-shortened 5 inning game. Tom Cochran pitched the whole thing, giving up no runs on 2 hits and striking out 5. Yonder Alonso's 2-run homer in the 1st was the only scoring in the game, and his 1st in AA. Todd Frazier had the only other Mudcats hit in the game. Up next: The Mudcats are off.
- Luis Montano started as Sarasota beat Clearwater 7-3. Montano gave up 3 runs in 5 innings, in a solid start, but the bullpen picked him up with 3 scoreless innings from Joseph "The Cycle" Krebs. This latest outing has yielded a new ERA of 1.91 for The Cycle. On the offense, Denis Phipps led the way going 3-for-5 with his 5th HR of the season, a 3-run shot. Up next: Jeremy Horst takes on Clearwater at 7.
- Dayton got destroyed by Lansing 11-2. Curtis Partch and Oscar Castro were terrible, giving up 6 and 5 runs respectively. Michael Konstanty got 2 of the 3 Dragons hits, including a 2-run HR. An interesting note? While Josh Roenicke is getting saves for the Bats this season, his brother Jason got one in this game for the Lugnuts. Up next: Lance Janke takes on Lansing at 7.
Also, Mark Sheldon has a list of draft picks to sign, and where they'll be assigned:
- Billy Hamilton (2nd) SS GCL (A surprise. Either drafting his brother helped or we went way over slot.)
- Donnie Joseph (3rd) LHP Billings
- Mark Serrano (6th) RHP Dayton
- James Walczak (15th) RHP Billings
- Jason Braun (29th) RHP Billings
- Shane Carlson (32nd) SS Billings
- Forest Cannon (34th) RHP Billings
- Chris Burleson (36th) SS GCL
- Jake Wiley (41st) RHP GCL
42 of the 51 picks remain unsigned