We're going to again Dayton for the next Featured Farmhand, as we look at who may be the hottest hitter in the system right now, Dragons infielder Cody Puckett.
- Cody Puckett was drafted in the 8th round of last year's draft by the Reds, as a junior out of Cal State Dominguez Hills. He played some shortstop in college, but has mostly been at 2B in his pro career so far.
- Last year, he put up solid numbers in the GCL and Billings. He's definitely someone to watch, as evidenced by his numbers so far this year.
- So far this season he's batting .301/.346/.549 with 9 HR and 27 RBI. He's currently 9th in the MWL in OPS, and tied for 3rd in home runs.
- In the last week, Puckett's batting .517 with 4 HR and 9 RBI. If you're in the Dayton area, I'd suggest going down and seeing this kid now, because he won't be there for long.
- Louisville beat Pawtucket 7-5, as Norris Hopper and Drew Stubbs are making their case to get called up to the show. Hopper went 3-for-5 with 2 runs scored and 3 RBI, and Stubbs was 2-for-4 to bring his average up to .316. Adam Pettyjohn pitched 6 1/3 innings in the start, and gave up 2 runs on 9 hits while striking out 3. Up next: Matt Maloney takes the bump at 11:05 AM.
- Carolina beat Montgomery 5-4, as Alexander Smit struck out 7 in his 5 innings of work. Logan Ondrusek pitched 2 shutout innings for the win, and don't look now, but he's pitched 5 2/3 innings in Carolina so far without giving up a run. Zach Cozart was 3-for-4 to lead the offense, and Juan Francisco and Todd Frazier both added two hits each as well. Up next: Zach Stewart works off of his excellent debut at 7:15.
- Sarasota wasn't as lucky, as they lost 10-3 in a rain-shortened 6 inning game. Carson Kainer and Justin Tordi both had two hits to lead the offense, but it would have taken a lot more than that to overcome the S-Reds crappy pitching. Up next: Jeremy Horst takes the hill against Dunedin at 7.
- Dayton struggled and lost 7-2 to Wisconsin. Lance Janke was the victim of a few unearned runs, as he went 5 1/3 innings, and gave up 6 R, 3 ER, and struck out 8. Featured Farmhand Cody Puckett was the star of the offense once again, going 3-for-4 with a triple. Up next: J.C. Sulbaran goes at 7 tonight.
- Roster Moves: Wilkin Castillo and Darnell McDonald were both added to Louisville's roster, and there's a new face in Sarasota, as infielder Mariekson Gregorius was assigned to the S-Reds. He's another one of the Reds honkballers. Jose Gualdron is on the DL for Dayton.