Joe Nuxhall Memorial Honorary Star of the Game
Ryan Howard. 1-3 with a home run, RBI, and a walk. No one was a particular standout in this game, and Howard's solo shot to open the scoring turned out to be the margin of victory.
- Howard leads off the second inning with a home run.
- Jay Bruce counters with one of his own to tie things in the fourth.
- Cueto lets the fifth inning get away from him, giving up a leadoff double to Pedro Feliz, and a single to Hamels. Always a bad sign when you can't retire the pitcher. A double to Rollins, single to Utley, and sac fly to Ibanez gave the Champs a 4-1 lead.
- The Reds fought back in the sixth, with Hairston's fourth homer of the year, followed by a triple from Phillips and a sac fly from Hernandez made it a one run game.
- The Phillies shaky 'pen was up to the task, and Brad Lidge closed the door as Willy Taveras and Hairston were unable to capitalize with two men on and one out.
- Taveras and Bruce each struck out three times. Rosales had two strikeouts.
- Cueto did not walk a batter.
- Arthur Rhodes has an ERA+ of 624. That is lower than his ERA+ for last season.
- The Reds went 0-7 with RISP.
- Johnny Cueto + Cole Hamels + the World Series Champions + $1 seats = 18,449.
|Final - 5.19.2009||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|WP: Cole Hamels (2 - 2)
SV: Brad Lidge (8)
LP: Johnny Cueto (4 - 2)