The Hardball Times wonders outloud whether or not Micah Owings should be moved to the outfield and breaks it down sabermetrically. What do you think? Is it better to have a decent, league-average innings-eater or does this dude have the potential to be a real slugger? Better the devil you know?
- Mark Sheldon of MLB.com is re-opening his mailbag and asks for your questions.
- Brandon Phillips pulled a prank on a nearly-blind elderly man. This team IS loose.
- John Fay is optimistic about the team so far, even though Dusty Baker sees room for improvement.
- Baker also had this to say after the sweep of the DBacks: “We’ve got to get as far away from .500 as we can and take our chances,” Baker said. “We’ve got a long way to go. We’ve looked pretty good but we have a long way to go.”
- In case you missed the FanShot, MixFMKyle passes on the news that Billy Bray will have season-ending Tommy John Surgery on his elbow soon. I was really hoping Bray would continue the fine work he put in last year, but the dude just cant stay healthy. Good luck on a speedy recovery Bill.
- Another FanShot: Slyde passes on a link to Red Hot Mama who links us to a cool optical illusion that explains the break of a curveball.
- Dougdirt gives a scouting report on Juan Carlos Sulbaran from his game last week against the Michigan White Caps.
- Justin (nee Jinaz) has changed his website from the boring "On Baseball and the Reds" to "Basement Dwellers". Whatever you wanna call it, it's still quality stuff.
- The Reds have moved up to 12th in Ted Keith's power rankings over at SI.
Dont forget to vote for your favorite Reds for the All-Star Team. Joey Votto has been the Reds MVP so far this season, but it'll be tough for him to beat out the stalwarts like Pujols, Berkman, and Howard. Jay Bruce has been pretty redonculous too though, and the race for the OF should be much more competitive. Hell, just vote for the Reds starting eight! It's 1957 all over again!